Chapter 1: Homicide

I never asked for it to happen. One day we are living our normal lives, and the next only one of us gets to carry on. Not like that one got to for long...

"C'mon Sarah!"

I yelled. We ran down the long hall, flying past pillars and other Raven members. Ravens are protectors of the living from the ghosts that plague the living world. Sarah and I were quite recent members, having only joined the Nest four months ago. However, it didn't take us long to learn all of its rooms and secrets. Turning the sharp corner I stopped, panting. Sarah came up behind me, also out of breath. Her long dirty blond hair looked frazzled and spread across her slim shoulders falling around and over her soft face and pointy chin. Her hazel eyes peeked out from strands of hair. This was an advantage of having short hair. No black hair spread over my face, or covered my red eyes and sharp jawline. After I caught my breath I spoke.

"Ha, I won."

I said smugly.

"Only cause you cheated and got a head start!"

She retorted.

"Whatever, let's go read some more!"

With that, I turned to the tall carved oak doors and pushed them open. Past them was a small library, which was our favorite spot to hang out during free time. On both sides of the magnificent stone room were two long dark oak shelves, filled with old, dusty books. At the end of the room was one large arch window, which the fading sunlight trickled through. We entered with our navy blue hooded cloaks flowing out behind us, and our boots clacking on the cold stone floor.

"Wanna read more of those books?"

I said excitedly.

"I don't think we should Alex..."

Sarah responded, looking nervous.

"Oh, come on we've only looked at them twice. We found them, let's make use of them!"

"Ok, ok."

Happily, I went to the middle left of one of the long shelves. Spending so much time in here we learned a lot about the small space, including where some books were hidden. While going through some books we found a small space behind a certain section of books about the history of how the Ravens came to be. It appeared to need a code, but it was so old the lock broke after one swift yank. Inside, it contained several books that looked like they would turn to dust as soon as we picked them up. One was about Ravens who had betrayed the living and sided with the dead. The other two were in some foreign language we couldn't translate. The last one was the oldest and largest. It talked of the most rare ghosts and spirits. These included Fices, a mix between Fire and Ice poltergeist, and Handlers, a ghost that can take over other ghosts. It also had Vortexes, which were ghosts of the shadows. However, today we found the most deadly and interesting one of them all.

"Demons?"

I said confused.

"I didn't know demons counted as ghosts."

Sarah said, surprised.

"It says here that they can be a mixture of any ghost, almost always having some trait from a poltergeist. They are semi-solid, but they are not as solid as the living."

Following this paragraph was a terrifying picture of what I can only assume was a demon. Sarah shivered.

"Glad we've never run into one of those."

"Tell me about it."

Suddenly we heard heavy footsteps headed toward the door.

"Quick!"

Sarah whispered.

"You put the book back, I'll go see who it is."

Rushing to the spot where the safe was hidden away I quickly put the book back in its cubby and put the books that hid it back in their places.

In came two of the older male Ravens. We hadn't spoken to them, but seen them around.

"Hey pretties."

Said the taller one, with a crooked smile.

"Do you want something sirs?"

Sarah asked.

"Oh yes."

Said the shorter one, as they slowly walked in and closed the door. I knew something was up. Why didn't I tell her? Why didn't I try to? Maybe I could've stopped all of this. The rest is a blur, all I remember is nothing good. They trapped us in a corner and... well... pain and horror ensued. Sarah almost got out that damn door... but those books were used for more than gaining knowledge. She fell but he didn't stop... he wouldn't stop hitting her... I begged him to leave her alone but... by the time he stopped, I knew the worst. With that, they ran out and left me crying over her dead body. I cried and screamed for help. Raven's came rushing in and tried to help her, but they were too late. There was nothing they could do. But despite that, those so-called protectors did hardly anything. Someone saw the men go in and leave almost an hour later. They had a body. They had sufficient evidence. They had me. But despite all of this, those pigs still got away with it. They got a weeks time. Nothing else.

Hatred burned in my soul as I saw the men who raped us, who killed my sister, walking through the halls happily like they never did anything wrong. But I would find a way to hurt them like they hurt me and Sarah, even if it meant sacrificing my sanity, even my life....

Weeks passed. I wasn't the same cheerful teenage girl I had been, and my mentor, Rin, could tell. Rin was a well built young man in his late twenties with brown hair and dark brown eyes. He had rich dark skin and a well defined face.

"You been ok?"

He asked gently.

"Fine."

I said, lying. He could tell. He could always read me and Sarah well.

"You don't look fine. You haven't even been eating, and don't think I didn't notice."

I flinched. I had stopped eating as much as I should. The most I had lately was an apple.

"So are you ok?"

He asked again.

"I said I'm FINE."

I responded agitatedly. With that, he stopped prodding.