Chapter 10: New Self

Walking outside, I realized I should probably get away from the nest. My cloak came off earlier, and either way, they would try to trap me. Seeing as how I'm a demon, they would probably just kill me first. Looking around I remembered a group of abandoned buildings farther outside the city. But those were pretty far away, and I still felt really unsteady in my new body. To my left were some woods; I decided to spend the night there. I started trying to walk but my feet kept sinking beneath the grass. It was slow, and I didn't have much time until the guards woke up. I decided to try and use my spider legs. It took a minute but I figured it out. It was much faster this way, but it was weird and hard to get used to. I almost fell over several times. At the edge of the woods I heard a voice behind me.
“So, that's that huh.”
I fell over.
“Shit, that hurt!”
“So he's dead?
“Yes. Why are you still here? You weren't bound anymore.”
Void shrugged his shoulders.
“‘Cause I wanted to see how things turned out.”
“Why do I feel like your lying?”
He looked away. He seemed, embarrassed?
“*Sigh*, alright fine. I wanted to make sure you were ok. I don't know why, so don't ask.”
I didn't say anything and I stood up.
“So where are you headed?”
“Those abandoned buildings down at the edge of the city.”
“Can I come with you? Probably the safest place for me to be right now.”
“Sure, why not. I'm gonna stay here for now. I need to figure some things out.”
   We headed really far into the woods. We couldn't take the chances of getting caught by someone. At least not someone I cared about. I wonder if Rin has read the note yet… 

Dear Rin, Thank you for everything. You were too good to me. I'll always remember the kindness you showed me. I can't stay like this. I've gone to do what I had to do. You'll hear about it soon enough. I'm not coming back, but know none of this is your fault. 
   Love, Alex.

Probably. He usually gets up around this time. Eventually we reached a spot that seemed far enough away. I sat down to think. I knew how to survive as a demon, but I knew it would take some getting used to. Demons did eat, though they don't have to eat that often. They usually just enjoy it so they do. How they could enjoy what they ate, I didn't understand. It was what I had to eat that bothered me. I had to eat well, people. I knew it would be hard at first, but I shrugged it off. I would get used to it. I wasn't going to kill just anyone however. I was going to focus my attention on the criminals the Head Ravens let wander freely. That included other Ravens. 
“So... this is life now huh.”
“For me yeah. You don't have to stay with me.”
“I know.”
“Then why are you staying with me?” 
He began to look uncomfortable.
“I don't know, but since you’re a ghost too now do I have to hate you?”
“No, I guess not.”
“Anyway, what are we gonna do now?”
He was clearly changing the subject, but I didn't care. 
“Well I need to deal with the other one.”
“The other creep?”
“Yes, him.”
“That's practically suicide! We'd have to go straight into the nest. Full of skilled senior members.”
“You don't have to come.”
“Just cause its dangerous doesn't mean I don't want to come. It sounds fun.”
“Alright, then we should head out tonight.”