Chapter 7: Bad Recollections

After a few hours of sleep I began to head to the library.
"Where are we goi-?"
"Library."
"Isn't that where-?"
"Yes."
"But you still wanna go the-"
"Yes."
"Well aren't you in a jolly mood. Can I please finish one fucking sente-"
"No."
With that Void just glared at me and stopped talking. I was too busy thinking to talk. Before, in the building me and Rin found him in, he had brought up an idea in my head. He said he could help me become one of them. I knew he was lying about that but I knew what he had been talking about. Demons. I was going back to read more on them. Was it possible to become one without dying? Is there any way to turn back? Do you keep your memories? All of these I wanted answers to, and I knew where to find them. I was so distracted thinking I ran straight into the large library doors. Some of the younger Ravens down the hall laughed at me. Scowling I proceeded into the room. I didn't expect the trauma of what happened to be so bad.
...
"Please stop! Stop hitting her! Sarah! SARAH!"
...
"Hello. Helloooo. Earth to dumbass."
Shaking my head I forced the memories to the back of my mind.
"What do you want."
"You were spacing out."
"Good for me."
"You know what's really sad is the fact you responded to 'Dumbass'."
"Oh, shut up."
Going past him I went to the middle of the left shelf. Shoving the books out of my way, I tore open the cubby door and grabbed the old book. Sitting down I flipped through the delicate old pages to where Sarah and I left off. 
Demons aren't always vengeful spirits merged together. There have been rare cases where the living becomes a demon without going through death. The only way it is caused is if the vengeance desired by the living's soul is so strong it overwhelms them. They will absorb any other spirits that are in close vicinity and become a demon. There has only been one ever documented. 
I reached the end of the passage and closed the book, then put it back. I found out what I wanted to know.
"What's was so interesting about that?"
"Guess."
"Oh."
Suddenly the door creaked open. I turned to see the man who killed Sarah come into the room. Behind him followed his bond spirit; a poltergeist. Fear I hadn't felt for weeks shot through me. Void could tell and stepped in front of me. Was he being... protective? I felt safer here, but I couldn't let myself seem weak. Stepping to the side I tried to steady my voice.
"What do you want?"
"What, I can't come to read a book?"
"We all know that's not why you're here."
"No one asked you, ya piece a shit."
This upset me.
"Only I can call him a piece of shit."
My voice was starting to crack.
"Well, what are ya gonna do about it? Seeing as you two are so smart, you know why I'm here."
He walked a little closer. I backed up.
"I can't have you wandering around ruinin' my reputation now, little girly."
"Not like you had much reputation to begin with."
"Well, it doesn't matter. You are gonna get to see your sister very soon, I promise you."
I had backed myself into the corner since the conversation started. He reached out and grabbed a few books, then chucked one straight at my head. I ducked to the ground and covered my head. I felt more books hitting my back and arms. I was going to die here, and Rin would lose both his hatchlings, and I was going to join my sister.

What am I supposed to do? I didn't want to protect her without her asking for help. But I knew if I did nothing she would die. But why should I care? Why do I care? Why isn't she asking me to attack him and make him stop? I can't let her die. I. Can't.

Suddenly the books stopped hitting me, and I heard the man laugh. Looking up I saw Void standing in front of me. Was he trying to protect me? I haven't even had him for long. Besides, aren't Vortexes supposed to be cruel? Why does he care if I die?
"You think you standing in the way will help? You're a ghost! Books can go right through you. You're even dumber than I thought."
He threw another book at me. I blocked it with my arm. I heard a yell. Looking up I saw Void had gone into what seemed like a full rage mode. His face was a distorted horror, and he was using the man's shadow to help him strangle the creep.
"He-help me."
With those words, his poltergeist lunged at Void. Void jumped back and got ready to fight. I just started screaming. Screaming for help. Screaming for someone, anyone to save me from death. Almost as soon as I started, the man chucked more books at me.
"Shut. UP!"
Suddenly several older Ravens burst into the room.
"What is going on here!"
One of them yelled seeing me bruised, beaten,and slightly bloody, books everywhere, and the man standing there, a book in hand.
"U-uh, she told her ghost to attack me! I was defending myself!"
"You would've attacked the ghost first then, not the holder. Besides, I don't think the girl crying in a corner bruised and bleeding is the bad one here."
Rin stepped out from behind the other Ravens. He quickly shoved past the man to me, who was crying in the corner.
"It's ok Alex, we got him. He won't hurt you anymore."