Chapter 20: Bizarre Happenings

We spent the rest of the remaining daylight hours  awkwardly sitting in silence. I just pretended to be reading over Abe’s information when really I was having an internal conflict in my brain. Void just stared intensely off into space.
“Alex…”
“What is it?”
“That fifth page had your brother on it, didn’t it?”
I didn’t say anything.
“Alex?”
“I don’t really want to talk about it.”
“Sorry if it’s personal I just read it when you gave me the papers and..”
“I said I don’t want to talk  about it!”
I felt my eyes go cold and something run down my face. Void looked shocked. I’d never gotten angry enough at him to go into that state.
“I’m sorry it’s just… a sensitive topic.”
I said, wiping the tar or whatever it was off my face.
“I understand…”
“I’m going for a walk.”
“Alex, it’s another 2 hours till sunset.”
“I don’t care I’m gonna go for one anyway. The stupid sun can’t control my life.” 
Void didn’t say any more. I felt bad for snapping at him but there was no point in apologizing now. I stood up and went through the wall to the left, the one without a window. Outside the sun wasn’t directly overhead, and was slowly moving down towards the west. I climbed to the roof of the house next to ours, and started walking. I didn’t know where I was walking, but I didn’t care. I needed to walk off some steam. I was mad at Void for prying. I was mad at the Ravens for killing my brother; and I was mad at Rin. He was like a brother to me yet it only took him a month to move on and get a new apprentice. So much for deeply caring about me. Next time if it comes between hitting him and getting out of a situation I’m going to hit him instead. After a few minutes I looked around to see where I had ended up. I had wandered close to a more busy part of the neighborhood. This was where there were shops, food stores, bakeries. It wasn’t as crowded as it usually would be but there was still a fair amount of people. No one had noticed me because everyone was busy looking through store windows and talking to their friends. It was loud and I didn’t like it. I hopped a few houses to the right to a more quiet street. Here there were a few people but not nearly as  many as there were in the other street. I sat down on the roof of the building I was on. I sighed. Maybe I shouldn’t have done this. Life hasn’t been exactly easy and it feels like I have to hide from everyone I used to trust. I have to eat something I don’t enjoy eating. If I was still alive I could still go with Rin to go get… get…. I can’t remember what we used to get. All I can remember is we would get something. I guess the memory loss is starting to kick in. I won’t lose any memories from after I first “died” right? What if I do and I forget Void and… and kill him? No. I won’t lose that much of myself. Despite the fact we haven’t known each other for more than a few months we’re close. He could’ve run off when he had the chance, but he waited for me. He deals with me in general, and deals with me being a demon. I’m still surprised he isn’t bothered by the fact I eat people at all. I guess since he’s spent a while eating people’s souls he’s just used to this kinda stuff. After a few minutes of me contemplating I realized how starved I was. I hadn’t eaten in like 3 or 4 days. I should head back and check the papers. See what Raven is closest. Standing up I looked around and realized I was on Walgreen Road. I remembered that one of the Ravens lived on this street. Having stared at the papers so long I could remember the house number too. His house number was 355. I checked to make sure no one was around. About and hour or so had passed and the sun was getting close to setting, so the street was empty. I slid down the side of the house and checked the house number. 344. I looked at the house to the right. 345. So his house should be just down the street. Getting back on the roof I headed down a few houses. Then I slid back down after making sure the street was clear. I was next to 352 and 354 so his house was the next one down. I quickly went over and checked. Yep, 355. The lights were off so I assumed nobody was home. I slipped in through the front wall, which seemed to take more effort than usual, into what seemed to be the kitchen. It was one of those galley kitchens that are a mix between a kitchen and a hallway. A few dishes were scattered on the counters here and there, and an oily pan rested on the gas stove. All the lights were off in here and in the room after so I kept going. I entered the living room next. There was a single worn out leather couch on top of a red rug. In front of it sat a TV. Behind me I suddenly heard the door creak open. Quickly I ducked into a shadowy corner and watched as a tall blond man walked into the room. He stretched and pulled off the cloak he was wearing, then hung it up on a hook near the doorway. He set his camera down on the small table that sat next to the couch. He sat down and turned on the TV. He went through a few channels then stopped on a news channel. 
“Raven’s have finally released information on the recent murders.  Several victims have been found mangled in city alleyways. Missing almost all of their inner organs, many wondered who was behind the murders. After an eyewitness was discovered the Raven’s released a small amount of information. The witness stated that a ghost came down from the roof above her and told her to run. After escaping she called the police who came and were met by a gruesome scene. The ghost is believed to be a poltergeist; specifically with spider legs. The Ravens advise that if you see this ghost DO NOT APPROACH. I repeat DO NOT APPROACH. If you see or come in contact with this ghost immediately  call the authorities.”
The man’s phone began ringing next to him on his side table. He turned off the TV and answered.
“Hello, who is it?”
I strained to hear the response.
“Hey this is Phil.”
“Oh hey Phil. What’s up? Need me to clock extra again?”
“No just checkin’ up on ya Bob, you know with what’s been happenin’ an’ all.”
“Well don’t worry I’m fine. No ghosts in here.”
“Well you be careful alright?”
“Don’t worry about me. Besides, the chances of that thing coming for me is-”
“Very High.”
During his conversation I had come up behind him. Grabbing the phone I threw it and grabbed Bob or whatever his name is by his neck and picked him up off the couch. I threw him against the wall, which knocked him out. I heard his friend yelling his name through the phone. I picked it up.
“He won’t be here for a long time.”
I crushed it then threw it back on the couch. The man apparently had only been in shock and yelled.
“It’s you! The fuck do you want with me!?”
“WHy should I tell you?”
I walked closer to him. He got up and tried to run but I stabbed him through the back before he could get anywhere. He fell over, dead. I didn’t want to have to drag around a dead body but I knew his friend undoubtedly had called other Ravens to come raid the place. They’d probably be here soon too, so I had to leave. Picking him up I broke the back window. This set off house alarms. Whatever, just more noise to distract people from me. Going out the window I climbed up the back wall onto the roof. I started heading back the direction I first came. The sun had started to lower towards the horizon. When I reached the road I got a better grip on the dead body I was currently holding and jumped over the road onto the buildings across the street. The previously busy street had emptied quite a bit, with a few late-night shoppers roaming around. I turned and made my way down the row a buildings, keeping as low as I could to avoid being seen. If I was walking on my actual legs this would’ve made the travel back much slower, but having six extra limbs to use made it much faster. I got back to the “house” just as the sun began to hit the horizon. I went through the window on the top floor since I couldn’t drag the body with me through the wall. Also walking through solid walls in general was uncomfortable anyway. It feels like walking through a wall of tar. The room I entered through the window was the spare room that was right next to the room I stayed in. I dragged the body into the other room. Void wasn’t in here, so I dropped the corpse and checked the room he insisted on sleeping in. Not there either. I shrugged. He must be out for a walk. As long as he doesn’t drag back any Ravens, I’m okay with him going out by himself. I mean, I just did and I killed someone. The most he’ll do is stare at people walking down the street. I walked into the other room and dragged the body into the corner. Sitting down I stabbed my hand through his chest I pulled out something. I couldn’t tell if it was one of his kidneys or his liver but I didn’t care. I was hungry and just wanted to eat something. I was about halfway through his large intestine when Void suddenly walked through the door. He stopped and stared at me. After a second of awkward silence I shoved the body behind me.
“Couldn't you knock!?”
I said angrily, feeling embarrassed. Void laughed,
“With what. I can't exactly hit the door.”
“Well, you could've like, asked to come in or something.”
“Ok ok I'm sorry I burst in. Happy now?”
I glared at him.
“Where were you anyway?”
“Well since you went out I thought I may as well take a walk.”
“As long as you don't drag anyone back with you I guess that's fair.”
“You dragged someone back with you. Literally.”
Void pointed to the mangled dead body sitting next to me.
“Yeah but he's dead.”
“Why'd you bring it over here anyway? Don't you usually just eat them where you kill them?”
“Yes, but I killed him in his house. Also he was on the phone at the time so it was safer to leave.”
“Ok. You could've just waited for him to get off the phone you know.”
“I was starving, ok?”
Void shrugged. He stretched after more awkward silence then walked into his room which was out in the hallway to the right. After he left I started eating again. I wished he hadn't come back so early. I don't like him being here when I'm in the middle of basically destroying a corpse. When I was done I had to figure out how to get rid of it. I could burn it but that would smell awful and be really obvious. I could find a river or pond to dump him in but there aren't any close bodies if water. Maybe I should dump his body in the woods. Not only is it discrete but the bugs and animals there will make him decompose faster. Soon after this thought I realized that the woods wouldn't work either. Hunting season had started recently so human activity there would be a lot more frequent. I sighed. Would I really have to keep a mangled dead body in the house? But… I could probably get Abe to get rid of it for me. Quickly, I went back and went through the man's pocket. Yes! I pulled out a wallet from his front pocket. I looked through it. He had about 50 Phantrs. This dude got paid well. I took all 50 and stuffed it into my back pocket. If this wasn’t enough for Abe then I would deal with the thing myself. I stood up and walked to Void’s room. Unlike him I knocked on the door instead of bursting through it. Well, “knocked”. I couldn’t physically hit the door so I just talked to him through it.
“Void, I’m going to go see Abe real quick. I need him to deal with this thing for me.”
I said through the door. He didn’t respond.
“Look, I’m sorry about snapping at you earlier. It’s not something I want to talk about.”
This time Void responded.
“It’s ok. I shouldn’t have pushed you.”
“Well, since that’s settled will you actually come out and talk to me?”
“Ok give me a second.”
I went back into my room and waited. After a minute Void came in.
“So you said we were going to Abe’s place?”
“I’m going to Abe’s place. You are staying here.”
“What? Why can’t I come? Are you still mad at me I apologized.”
“No, it’s not that. I just don’t think it’s a good idea for you to come. He’s literally looking for exactly what you are for a much better paying client.”
“Yes but even you yourself said the chance of him figuring out I was a Vortex from just my name was basically zero.”
“But there’s always the chance…”
“Look, no matter what you say I’m coming with you. If he planned something and attacks you I want to be there to help.”
“Fine. Just don’t blame me if something goes wrong ok.”
“Deal.”
I sighed and grabbed the dead body from the corner of the room. With it I went through the window onto the roof. Void was waiting for my a few roofs down. I caught up with him and we went the now familiar route to Abe’s hideout. The walk was awkwardly silent, so I was glad when the old building came into view. I dropped the body down the wall into the yard and jumped down after. Void came down behind me. I turned around to face him before we went any further.
“We need to be careful. We don’t know if he knows about you or not but we need to be careful anyway.”
“I wasn’t exactly planning to burst in anyway. Don’t worry.”
I rolled my eyes and grabbed the corpse and slowly went towards the old rotting doorway. Taking a deep breath I went through.
“Abe?”
“Back so soon? Do ya need more already?”
Abe was standing, well, floating over the crumbled stairs.
“No, I need you to get rid of this.”
I dropped the body onto the floor.
“Jesus what happened to ‘im?”
“Lot’s of things. Look, will you deal with it or not? We have 50 Phantrs this time if that changes anything.”
“Well that’s generous but I want something else.”
“Well what the fuck do you want now.”
“Your friend there.”
“No. I don’t know why you’d want him anyway.”
“Don’t play dumb. I know he’s a Vortex.”
My heart dropped.
“Well go find one elsewhere. I’m not just going to give him to you for something this fucking small.”
“But that’s not the only thing. Ya see I had a little friend a mine follow you back to yer little hideout. Give me him and I’ll stay quiet.”
“Dumbass, we can just find a different place.”
“Oh, but I have eyes everywhere.”
“Did you not get the hint? He’s. Not. For. Sale.”
“Are ya sure about-?”
“I said He’s Not For Sale.”
I pushed Void back, signaling him to start backing up. Abe was smiling creepily and I felt that he had something else up his sleeve.
“Well I tried to ask nicely.”
Suddenly the door behind us burst open. 
“SHIT!”
I whipped around and tackled Void out of the way. Just as I did, I heard the distinct click of a camera. As soon as we landed I shot up and around. The Raven who we had heard arguing with Abe last time stood with his camera pointed directly at me.
“I was just here for a Vortex but I guess I can get a poltergeist while I’m at it.”
He pressed down and I was ready for the pain to start again. Sure enough it came, but for some reason it wasn’t as bad this time.
“Augh!”
I keeled over for a second but staggered back up. Void came out from a shadow behind the Raven and grabbed the camera from his hands. Smashing it on the floor he threw the man across the room. I was able to recover a lot faster this time. Void ran over.
“Alex are you ok!?”
“Yeah, I don’t know why but this wasn’t nearly as bad.”
The Raven had recovered and stood up.
“The fuck are you?! The fuck did you do to my camera?!”
“I didn’t do anything!”
From the left I saw Abe making a run for the stairs. Before he got anywhere I stabbed him in the back. He disappeared and it seemed like he had never existed. I turned back around and saw that the Raven had pressed the emergency call button that was on the inside of all Raven’s cloaks. It was in case you needed quick backup and called to the nearest free Ravens in the area. He began to make a run for the door but halfway there he passed out. Void came out from his shadow.
“Void we have to leave NOW.”
“What, why? Shouldn’t we deal with him first?”
“That button is an emergency call button. So that means more Ravens are going to come-”
Before I could even finish more Ravens burst through the door.
“SHIT VOID, RUN!”
Void shot the nearby wall and I ran after him. I heard yelling behind me and ran faster. Instead of going through the wall like I expected the wall entirely broke. Falling over I rolled into a pile of weeds in the yard. I whipped around and saw that the whole building was collapsing. Suddenly I realised that the thorns on some of the weeds were… scratching me? How are the even touching me at at? I didn’t have time to think about that. Ravens were coming out of the building and I had to get out of there. Quickly jumping onto one of the nearby roofs I ran. After a little while I jumped into the street just in case they followed me onto the roofs. Late night walkers yelled as I bolted past them. After a few more minutes I went back onto the roofs and sat down. I was entirely out of breath and needed a break. After a minute, I looked around me. I had no idea where I was and no idea where Void was. All I could do is hope he got away and hope he would head back to the house.