Chapter Twelve: Struggle

Keonhee POV

It's quiet during the night, only Geonhaks snoring and Seohos mumbling can be heard. When the sun goes up, Keonhee wakes everyone up. It takes them some time to get the elf out of bed but after ten minutes they finally success. They eat and then it is a seven hour walk to the next village. They arrive at the village and Keonhee is shocked at the size of it. The village only has five proper houses, the rest are barns. "I don't think they have an inn where we can stay in.", Keonhee says. "No but we still should be able to get some water and food.", Ravn says. "Why are there so many barns?", Keonhee asks. "This area is known for camels. The man are usually out and about on the search for grassland in the south. So there probably won't be many people around here.", Geonhak tells. The others look at him confused because of his unexpected knowledge. "My family bought two camels from this area."
They knock on one of the doors. It opens and an middle-aged woman greets them: "Oh, hello travelers. Come in, you look very tired."
"Hello and thank you.", they say and enter the small house. An old man greets them. "I am Martha and this is my father Bruno. Take a seat. Where are you from?"
They sit down at the dining table while Martha sets the table. "We are from Murym. We are travelling to Doru.", Keonhee explains. "Oh you should be careful. Doru is not as safe as it used to be with the assassins guild in charge.", Martha states. "We will be."
They eat and listen to some stories that Bruno and Martha tell.
Once they are finished Martha asks them if they want to stay the night. "We don't want to trouble you.", Seoho says. "Oh, it's fine. But we only have the barn for you to stay in." "That's okay."
The kind woman shows them the barn where they can stay at. "Should I get you blankets for the night?", she asks. "We have blankets thank you.", Ravn answers.
They go back into the house and Ravn and Dongju practice together while the rest plays cards with Martha and Bruno. "They are wizards?", Bruno asks. "Only Ravn is a wizard, Dongju seems to have some magic powers but he is not very good at using them yet.", Keonhee explains. Hwanwoong kicks him under the table and throws a stern look at him which makes him realize that he should not give away so much information. "I haven't seen a wizard in ages. They are always so busy and don't have time for small villages like ours.", Bruno says.
They play until the evening, Geonhak is about to say goodnight and hide in the barn when Dongju runs out of the house. "I can't do this. I am so useless.", he cries out while leaving.
Ravn runs after him. The others leave their cards on the table and look after Dongju too. Keonhee excuses them quickly. He follows the other into the barn and finds Dongju crying in a corner. Ravn put his arm around his shoulder and tries to comfort the younger man. "I am not a wizard. I can't use magic. Why am I such a failure?"
"It's not your fault like I told you before, there is probably something out of your control holding you back. A memory, a trauma, maybe you're unconsciously missing someone. I don't know but it's not your fault.", Ravn says. "But what if you get hurt and die because I couldn't help you because I was too dumb to learn a spell." "You are not dumb. And I will try and protect everyone. If someone gets hurt it is not your fault. It happens. There are a lot of bad people out there.", Geonhak says and ruffles through the smaller mans hair. "But I almost got you hurt this morning." "We don't know why the man wanted to kidnap you. It's not your fault that he was so focused on getting you.", Hwanwoong says. "It was honestly my fault I shouldn't have allowed him to eat with us and sleep at our camp.", Ravn admits. "You couldn't have known that.", Dongju says. "And you couldn't have known either.", Seoho says. Dongju nods. "But I also worried you during the sandstorm." "I was crying too.", Keonhee says. "And Seoho was clinging to me too.", Ravn exposes the angel. "Yeah..., it was scary."
The angel looks down embarrassed. "And you had a traumatic experience in a sandstorm before, so it's only understandable that you were scared.", Keonhee states. Dongju nods and wipes away his tears. Suddenly all of the others hug him. After five minutes they finally let go of him, except for the elf who fell asleep during the hug. It is getting completely dark outside which brings out Geonhaks animal side. They decide to go to bed. The other men wrap Hwanwoong up in his blanket, double check on Dongju and go to bed. "Do we need a guard?", Keonhee whispers to not wake up the other two. "I feel like this place is safe.", Seoho replies. Geonhak nods.
Keonhee has a hard time falling asleep. He is worried about Dongju. Not only because the younger one lacks confidence in but also because Orliander from the assassins guild was so interested in him and the smell of sweaty camels is another reason why he needs an hour to fall asleep.

Authors Note:
This chapter is kind of short. I hope you still like it. 🐁❤