nine

I CAREFULLY PARK INFRONT OF
dylan's house, it's awfully close to johnny's, he lives at the end of this street. i put my hood on so no one would recognize me. i push the door open and i'm immediately hit with the strong disgusting smell of alcohol. i look for maddie on the dance floor, all i see is drunk teens jumping on eachother. my face is covered in pure disgust. i quickly spot a familiar face, "hey brandon, have you seen maddie?" i yellover the loud music. "last i saw, she was upstairs" he says and i can tell he is surprised i'm here.

i recognize a few kids from my college and quickly turn around, not wanting them to even look at me.

i go upstairs and look in almost every room to find maddie. where the hell is she? i groan in anger and go to the kitchen. i call her phone, but she doesn't pick up. random guys come up to me trying to hit on me, i would punch them in the face, but i'm too frustrated. i ignore them and walk into the kitchen. my forehead creases, the loud music is giving me a headache. i swear when i find maddie, i will kill her.

i lean against the kitchen island and stare at my vans. there are guys chugging down liquids and yelling, i can't stay here. i see a door in the distance. i speed walk through the crowd and make my way to the backyard. i walk around asking many people if they have seen her. finally i spot her sitting on a chair with her friend. she sees me and quickly stands up, she sees my anger and apologizes, "shut up, let's get out of here" i grab her hand and walk back inside. we walk past a couple eating each other's faces off and i practically gag. maddie owes me, big time.

i look back at the kitchen and see a water bottle beside the fridge, obviously unopened. all this running around is making me thirsty. i leave maddie for a second and run to grab the water. i look up and see a guys back toward me blocking the bottle, the guy turns around not spotting me yet, holy shit it's johnny. he's talking to brandon. why is he at a party! not even a week after our 'fight'. i decide to abandon the water and leave.

i scoff and turn on my heels walking back to maddie. i hear brandon say, "there she is"
my heart races, i grab maddie's hand violently.
"chill" she says running behind me.

i look at the reflection from a window and see johnny quickly walking trying to catch up to us.
"fuck" i mumble. i walk through the dance area pushing throw crowds.

"johnny's coming" maddie says. i roll my eyes... bitch i know! that's why we are running.

i take a quick glance behind us and see him trying to squish between the crowds slowly catching up to us. maddie decided to wear her heeled boots today so she can't walk that fast.

"maddie, walk faster!" i demand. she yanks her hand away and rubs her wrist with her other hand. "you literally broke my wrist" she exaggerates and i roll my eyes.

by the time we reach the car johnny reaches up to us. he calls out my name. maddie stands awkwardly beside me. i turn around. he's wearing his favorite black turtle neck with ripped black jeans. and of course his white airforce 1's. even in the darkness, he manages to look hot.

i fiddle with the keys in my hand and look him straight in the eye. "can we talk?" he asks. he fixes his dirty blonde hair. it's too dark to talk here. he's my best friend, i can't just throw away years of friendship. i build up all my courage and nod my head.

"can i drive home?" maddie asks impatiently. i shoot her a glare.

"what? i'm cold" she whines.

"i can drive you home later" johnny says looking at me for an answer like i'm the mom here. i think for a second.

"alright, go" i say handing maddie the keys.

maddie climbs in and drives away, i pray she doesn't crash moms car. i shove my hands in the pockets of my hoodie. johnny notices my coldness and says, "it's cold, let's sit in my car" he walks toward his car parked beside the house. why did he drive? he lives on the same street.