Chapter 3 || Dance

-Kenzie-

Dance that night was horrible.

Completely and utterly awful.

Just.....well, you get the point.

Just as she told us earlier, Kendall actually did dance at the same studio as us, and Abby introduced her during pyramid.

"Girls," Abby began, clasping her hands together. "We have a new addition to the team." She motioned towards the door, and Kendall, wearing an adorable set of pink and yellow dance wear, stepped in the studio followed by a lady with faux-looking blonde hair. "I'm Jill," the lady told us cheerfully, "and Kendall and I are so excited to be a part of this team."

Oh brother. In the past we had seen control freaks, loud mouths, almost-always-absent-moms, and butt-kissers come on and off the team, who only knew what this crazy lady had up her sleeve.

"Hi guys," Kendall greeted peppily with a huge smile. "I think her bun is just a little too tight," Maddie mumbled. I gave her a small kick, hoping no one would notice, and luckily they were too focused on Kendall to see Maddie holding her shin in pain.

I honestly didn't know why Maddie was so against Kendall. I mean, sure, she wasn't popular and maybe she was too happy to fit into our group, but it was worth a shot. She just transferred schools, it's not like she had any friends here anyways.

"Kenzie," Abby barked, breaking me from my trance. I focused my gaze on the weekly pyramid, only frowning when I saw I was placed on the bottom. "Kenz, do you know why I put you here this week?" I sighed and looked at the floor. "My solo didn't place," I whispered. "And why didn't it place?" Abby pried. Suddenly the stink bug crawling across the hard, black dance floor became extremely interesting. "Because I forgot it."

Looking satisfied with my answer, Abby nodded slightly. "Don't let it happen again." I zoned out as Abby addressed the rest of the group in pyramid, and glanced over at Kendall, who was still looking as peppy as the moment she arrived. I clutched at my stomach, grimacing, because it was still hurting from earlier. I caught my mother's gaze, and she nodded sympathetically when she saw my current state.

"Girls, pay attention!" Abby screamed, causing me to jump practically four feet into the air. "The group dance this week is a jazz number called Bubble Gum Queen, the costumes are very pink and they should be arriving tomorrow. You will try them on then." Abby paused to stare us all down. "Moms, upstairs. Girls, spread out and start stretching."

That was our signal to start class, so I made my way to the back and took a place beside Nia, and then slid into my right split. Several minutes passed, but Abby still hadn't returned from what she had called "a bathroom break."

"I'll go check on her," I decided, pushing open the wooden door that read STUDIO A. However, I didn't even get to the bathroom before hearing Abby's hushed voice. "-That's amazing, wow. Of course. The girls and I would love that." The girls and I? Love what? Feeling guilty for eavesdropping, I tiptoed back into the studio where the girls were eagerly waiting for the news.

"Uh, she's fixing her makeup." Really Kenz, that's the best you could do? I felt bad for lying to my friends when Abby was clearly talking about us, but I would need to get more information before telling them.

Before anyone could become too suspicious, Abby walked back in, taking her usual seat at the back of the room. "Okay girls, get up, we need to learn this dance so we can start running it by tomorrow." And then Abby started arranging us like chess pieces, putting the dance together.

"-Doin' fine, I'm peachy keen, but let me be your bubble gum queen," the music sang as Maddie did a turn sequence while the rest of us danced around in the background. "Kenzie, your foot is sickled!" Abby barked. I was on the verge of tears, my stomach now churning.

And then, I ran straight out of the room, and made it into the bathroom just before vomit began rapidly spewing from my mouth. A few minutes passed and I was still hunched over the toilet when I heard my mom's familiar voice echoing. "Kenz, are you okay?" I barely made out a raspy "yeah" before returning to the toilet. I lost track of time from being in the stall for so long, and eventually my vision began to cloud at the edges. "Mom," I cried, and when I earned no response I figured she had decided to wait outside. After all, I would too.

The last thing I remembered doing before everything went black was flushing the toilet, and then my body fell limp and I hit my head off the toilet seat.

-

author's note: hey guys! I am so sorry for not updating, I have been really busy with school and gymnastics and my Instagram account. thank you for getting my first story to 1k reads, and Turning Tables is also really close! I'm sorry this is boring still, I'm gonna try it out but I might end up writing another story so thank you for understanding ilyg ♡

-caidawg