Chapter 11 || Surgery

-Kenzie-

All it took was five words to send me into panic mode, and that's exactly what I did when they left Dr. Rossi's mouth; "You have a stomach ulcer."

I felt my body go limp, and a cry escaped my mouth. "Are-aren't those c-cancerous?" I shook with fear, struggling to form words as I gasped for air.

Dr. Rossi sighed. "Unfortunately, yes, dear. However, they cause little harm if treated early. So, you will go into surgery tomorrow morning, and if all goes well you should be free to go in the next four days."

I sighed, relief and worry flooding over me at the same time. I knew I needed to take care of this, but I couldn't help but think of Abby. Would she be mad at me? How long until I would be able to dance again?

I zoned out as Dr. Rossi continued speaking, and my eyes travelled to my mother's face. She nodded occasionally, each time worry becoming more and more visible on her face.

I checked the clock next to my bed side. It read 9:24 pm. Suddenly I felt very tired, and my eyes fluttered closed. I drifted off into a peaceful sleep, preparing myself for the eventful day approaching.

-

I opened my eyes to see my mother gently shaking me awake. I studied her face, and the dark circles under her eyes made it evident that she didn't get any sleep.

I looked over to the clock, and to my dismay it blared 6:13 am in bold red letters. "Kenzie, the doctors are coming to get you ready for surgery." My mother spoke softly, worry etching her face.

Although I felt the same, I pushed it away for her sake. "Mom, I'll be fine, don't worry." She nodded, but didn't seem to believe me.

Then again, I don't know if I believed myself either.

Moments later, Dr. Rossi appeared, followed by a younger doctor. She came to my bedside, wearing a warm smile. "Hi Kenzie, I'm Dr. Lewis, I'm here to give you the medicine that makes you sleepy during surgery."

I frowned. She didn't need to water it down, what was I, five?

Dr. Rossi stepped closer to me holding a large needle. "Okay Kenzie, I'm going to give you an IV in your arm. This might pinch for a second."

I held my breath as I saw the shiny needle nearing my arm, and closed my eyes. I felt a slight pinch, and exhaled.

Soon after, Dr. Lewis took out another needle, but to my relief only injected it into the IV. "Okay, you will start getting a little tired honey, but that's okay, don't fight it." I nodded, feeling a wave of tiredness rush over me.

The last thing I remembered was my mother kissing my head and wishing me good luck, and to that I whispered a barely audible "I love you, mom."

Then the doctors were wheeling me into the operating room, and sleep took over me.

-

I woke, once again. There was an aching pain in my stomach, and I lifted the sheets of my bed to see a large pad of gauze covering the area where I had been in pain.

I looked over to see my mother reading a magazine. "Mom," I called out, my voice quiet and raspy. "D-Did it work?"

My mother nodded with a sad smile. "Yes Kenz, it's out. You got 9 stitches." I found myself sighing in relief. "How long until I can dance?"

My mother's peaceful expression instantly vanished. "Kenzie..." she trailed off. "With your concussion and stitches and all, it might be three months."

My heart dropped. "T-three months?" I stuttered, having difficulty forming words. My mother nodded solemnly. A silent tear escaped from my eye, and then another. Soon I was full on bawling.

My mother came over to comfort me. "It's okay, Kenz, Abby will understand."

I hope.

Sleep took over me, for what seemed like the hundredth time today. It didn't last for long, however, and several hours later I was being slightly shaken.

"Kenzie, wake up." I opened my eyes and my mother was at my bedside once again. "Do you want to take a walk? There's someone I want you to see."

Worriedly, I nodded, and my mother helped me out of bed. She assisted me into the neck brace that the doctors suggested I wore for my concussion. The first few steps I took were wobbly, but soon I was walking without my mother's assistance.

She lead me to the elevator, and we stepped inside. It was a relief to be greeted with a smell other than antiseptic. My mother pressed the floor button, and soon we stepped onto floor three.

I followed her down the hallway, and she stopped at a door, hesitating before pushing it open. When I saw who was asleep in the bed, I gasped.

-song of the chapter: hope acoustic by we came as romans-

-

author's note: heyyyyyyoooooo so I tried to make up for my absence with this long chapter I hope you like it!1!1

I know this story is all over the place and every girl's point of view is like a different time but I think most of them are caught up now yay

any guesses who was in the hospital room? 😏

merry christmas eve and christmas (if I don't update tomorrow)

now off to physical therapy omf guys I thought I just had sever's in my feet but guess what I have plantar fasciitis too yay me. and also gifs aren't working on my phone so I'll add one later if I can. lol love youuuuu

-caidawg