Chapter 5 || Odd Lunch and a Hospital Visit

-Chloe-

I sighed as my math teacher handed back my test. Silently, I flipped it over, frowning to see a red 73% scribbled across the paper. Ever since Kenzie had gone to the hospital, I've been distracted. I forgot to study for the test, I guess.

I slipped the paper into my folder with all my other math tests, none of the grades lower than a 93%. Yes, I was worried about Kenzie, but I was not going to let it stop me from being on the honor roll again this year.

I looked at the clock that read 10:55 the same time that the bell rang for lunch. "No homework tonight!" my peppy math teacher chirped and I felt myself releasing a breath that I didn't know I had been holding. After all, with dance for 4 hours and planning to visit Kenzie in the hospital, I wouldn't have time to do it anyways.

I bustled out of the classroom into the hot and sweaty hallway. Weaving my way through the crowd, I opened my locker and waited for Paige to meet me so we could walk to the cafeteria together like we did everyday.

2 minutes passed. She didn't come. We only had 4 minutes between each class, and my classes were all so far away from the cafeteria. Hesitantly, I decided to walk down by myself, wherever Paige was she would catch up.

I walked quickly so I could make it into the cafeteria before I would get a late, and I set foot in the large lunch room just as the bell rang. I spotted my regular lunch table, and my stomach clenched when I noticed Kenzie's empty seat. And, to my surprise, Paige was already seated.

"Hey guys," I greeted cheerfully, deciding how to confront Paige about not waiting for me. "Paige, you got here really fast today, what's up?" Upon studying my best friend longer, I noticed she was not eating anything. Her Vera Bradley lunch box wasn't even opened.

"Sorry Chlo, I was in the library for English and I decided to just come straight from there."

The usual peppiness present in Paige's voice was missing. "Is everything okay?" I whispered quietly, relieved to find the other girls already engaged in a conversation. "Yeah," she mumbled, "just not hungry."

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but Paige never turns down food. I even went to her house once for a sleepover and she didn't stop eating candy even after she got sick.

So needless to say I was surprised to see she was not eating. "You want some?" I questioned, holding up a bag of M&Ms. Her eyes widening, she shook her head vigorously. Shrugging, I decided to leave her alone, maybe she would feel better tomorrow.

-

The ride to the hospital was intense. It was silent the whole way except for the radio playing "Rude" softly in the background.

"How was school today, Chloe?" my mother inquired. Remembering my math test, and my strange lunch, I sighed. "It was okay." I knew my mom could sense something was wrong, but luckily she didn't ask me about it.

Soon, a large building with an illuminated sign reading Allegheny General came into view, and the car stopped. I opened the door and was greeted by a cool gust of January wind, causing me to zip my coat up further.

Stepping into the hospital, the scent of sterilization filled my nostrils. "Mackenzie Ziegler?" my mom asked the lady at the front desk wearing scrubs. Checking the list of patients, she replied, "floor 3, room 346."

When we finally rode the elevator to floor 3 and went through the maze of rooms to find Kenzie's, I gasped as we pushed open the heavy door.

The normally cheerful Kenzie we all had known and loved was pale, gray, and hooked up to what seemed like a million wires and machines.

A sad-looking Melissa was perched lightly at the end of her bed. My mom instantly approached her and pulled her into a hug as I studied Kenzie. "Do the doctors know what's wrong?" I asked quietly.

Melissa sighed gravely. "She has a severe concussion from hitting her head on the toilet seat, no dancing for at least two months." My heart sunk. "And the reason she was so sick," she paused for a long moment, "the doctors think...it's a stomach ulcer."

-song of the chapter: secrets by one republic-

-

author's note: hey dawgs! I'm shopping right now! thank you for reading, as always I love comments, reads, votes, feedback....I will now be updating every sunday woo hoo!!

I really miss writing (murder) mysteries so that might be my next fanfic! yay I'm so excited!1!

-caidawg yo yo yo

(ps sorry for being overly peppy lol and I didn't edit this so if you find a mistake feel free to correct me oops okay bye)

(pps 600 reads by the next chapter? love you all ❤️)