Chapter 12 || Phone Calls

-Brooke-

My eyes widened as Kenzie walked into Paige's hospital room and stopped, and she shared an expression similar to mine. I quickly stood up, awkwardly greeting Kenzie as I searched for a place to start.

"Paige....she didn't....she was...." I stuttered, searching for words. "She didn't eat before dance and passed out."

Kenzie stayed still, her face full of shock and awe. "Is-is she..." she trailed off, and I nodded before she could say it. Paige was anorexic.

My eyes glanced over to my mom, who was worriedly chatting half-heartedly with Melissa, who escorted Kenzie to the room we were currently in.

I turned back to Kenzie, and sighed. "I don't even know why she would, I mean, they're keeping her in here for a few days to monitor her eating." I rambled on, quickly changing the subject. "How was surgery?"

Kenzie's face brightened. "It was good, I guess, I'm all good except for the concussion." I smiled. "That's great, Kenz,"

Melissa appeared by Kenzie's side and signaled it was time to go. I said goodbye, and made my way over to my mother who was looking at Paige anxiously. I rested my hand on her shoulder. "She'll be okay, mom."

She sighed, and looked eager to talk about something else. "How's your back, Brookie?" I had completely forgotten in the midst of all the other events. "It's better, I guess, still hurts a little."

She forced a small smile. "That's good, we don't need any more hospital visits." I let out a giggle.

A comfortable silence fell between us and I rested my head on my mother's shoulder. Since Paige had arrived last night, neither my mom or I had gotten any sleep, and it was beginning to catch up to us. I yawned.

"Brooke, why don't you call dad and have him pick you up?" I rolled the question around in my head. I nodded hesitantly. "Okay." I made my way into the hallway and took out my phone, scrolling through my contacts until I found my dad's number.

Several rings went by, and finally my dad picked up. "Brookie, what's up?" Relief washed over me as I heard my father's familiar voice over the line. "Can you pick me up? I'm at the hospital and I think mom wants me home."

He paused. "Sure thing, sweetheart. I'll be there soon." I bid my dad goodbye and hung up. I slid my phone back into my pocket of the pants I was still wearing from last night, and walked back into Paige's hospital room.

Moments later, I got a text from my dad announcing that his car was waiting in the parking lot. I hugged my mom goodbye, and tried to find the elevator.

Once I did, I pressed the button and waited for the doors to open. I leaned against the shiny elevator wall and the doors opened again on floor 3. Maddie stepped inside the elevator.

Things were about to get awkward.

"Hi Brooke, I'm sorry about Paige," she mumbled, eyes traveling down to the ground.

"Me too," I whispered. "Did you visit Kenz?" She nodded solemnly. "Yeah, I'm going down to the cafeteria right now. Want to come?"

I shook my head. "As fun as that sounds," I laughed, "my dad is waiting for me. "Oh," she replied, returning the laugh. "Maybe another time. See you at dance tomorrow."

Luckily the elevator doors parted, and I strode into the hospital lobby. I passed a smiling lady at the front desk and exited through automatic doors. I spotted my dad's shiny black car, and hopped inside.

"Hi Brookie Cookie!" my dad exclaimed, clearly lacking company, unless Josh was considered company. "Hi daddy," I giggled, wrapping him in a hug. "Where to now?" I thought for a second. "McDonalds!" I exclaimed. I could use some grub.

My dad laughed, and turned up the radio. Just mere seconds later, the yellow arches came into view. "Just a large fry. Oh, and don't forget the chocolate milkshake." My father nodded. "Okay, princess."

Once we had ordered and paid, we pulled up to the final window and I dove into the bag for my french fries as soon as I received it. Deep fried goodness took over my taste buds.

I was in the middle of enjoying my fries when my phone began vibrating. I didn't recognize the number, but I picked it up anyways. "Hello?" I started reluctantly. "Brooke, it's Abby. What are you up to?" I paused. "Just driving home from the hospital." Abby let out a breath. "Okay, I need you at the studio right now. It's urgent."

-song of the chapter: anything could happen by ellie goulding-

-

author's note: hiiiiii I hope you all had a wonderful christmas if you celebrate it! okay I apologize I know it seems like a lot of this story is about people getting sick and hurt but yay it's finally starting to get to the dance part! 😂

so I just spent 3 and a half hours cleaning my room bc ocd probs amiright and as weird as this sounds IT FEELS SO GOOD only some of you will understand and the rest of you probably just think I'm weird but okay bye

anywho, uh I forget what I was gonna say. well it's 11:50 pm where I am right now so I barely made my weekly sunday update but I did ;))) (unedited so sorry for errors)

oh and finally I posted the intro for a new story I will be starting after this one go read it and tell me if you like it!!

I luv u

-cai