Heat Wave (She's Gone Edited)

It was the day before the first day of school and Kaya couldn't believe that it had come so fast. Aizawa could tell she was a bundle of nerves, as she had trouble concentrating during their close combat training. Over time she had improved and didn't need to rely on her wings as much. He also taught her how to hold her stance so her wings would offer agility and balance while also being able to be used as shielding.

"Kaya, you have to pay attention if you want to learn this," he said as he dodged another of her half-hearted blows.

"I'm sorry. I'm just a little distracted," she said, blocking his cross but tripping over his leg sweep.

"What's on your mind?" he asked, sitting back in his stance.

"He's talking to me again. I've been trying to shut him out, but he keeps poking through," she explained. She dusted herself off and went back into her stance.

"What is he saying?" he queried.

"That his vessel is weak and needs to become stronger."

Yesss! My power would tear you apart.

"Have you been doing your morning meditations to channel his power?" he said, throwing another punch.

"Of course, I have. What else would I be doing for an hour and a half every morning?" She dodged and started focusing again.

"I don't know. Maybe drawing me?" Aizawa shot her a sly grin and she blushed knowing she had been caught.

"And? It's not like I know anybody else to reference off. It also helps clear my mind." She could feel the slight annoyance turn to anger.

That's right, get angry. I was just starting to get hungry.

"But what we have to focus on right now is getting your hero license."

"I know."

Ha! A hero? You really think you can make it? Do you know how many people fail or are expelled from UA every year? What makes you so special that you think you can make it?

"Shut up," she mumbled under her breath.

You can barely control that quirk of yours let alone mine. How can you save other people when you couldn't save yourself? Heroes, I think you mean expendable cannon fodder used to protect civilians.

"That's not true." Aizawa could tell she had stopped listening to him and was talking under her breath.

What makes you think that? How many heroes die everyday to protect those that are too weak to protect themselves?

"That's what being a hero means."

Some life. Giving everything you have just to protect a stranger. You might not even get the fame and money because there will be someone better than you, someone flashier than you.

"It's not about the money."

Really? Is that what your brother told you? Well look at him now. He's dead. He left you because he tried to protect someone else. That means he chose dying and saving them over living with you.

"He saved his friend. He made his choice and I'm proud of him."

But you're mad at him for leaving. I can feel it. It eats away at you. Will you end up like him? Probably. Then I can have my vessel.

Heat had begun to emanate from the girl and Aizawa had to take a step back.

You want to become a hero so bad? What kind of hero is afraid of tight spaces? What kind of hero couldn't take care of herself? What kind of hero couldn't protect their only living family? What kind of hero forgets about the children she so desperately loved and kept out of evil's clutches?!