Training

Bria woke up with a massive headache. She groaned and rubbed her head as she sat up. She looks over to Tyra who bolted awake and was out of her hammock-like bed in an instant.

     "How?..." Bria didn't even want to know. She felt like she had a hangover.

     "When you're in the military, you learn how to be alert." Tyra looked at her. "Doing okay? You look awful."

     Bria held a shaky thumbs-up. "Peachy... just probably the altitude of this place."

     The Brute came into the room. He bowed his head at them both. "Follow me."

     Tyra and Bria glanced at each other before following the Brute.

     They followed him back in the corridor. Bria took a minute to get a good look around the room. She noticed the way it was lit up, with the purple fire. It sparked up a question.

     "If you guys don't know how to use my power, how are you able to light this place?" Bria questioned.

     "This Fire has been here before we discovered it. Has shown no signs of dwindling out."

     They continued on to a balcony. It was held up by stone pillars, and it had an incredible view of waterfalls and rivers.

     "Wow..." Bria's eyes grew and she ran up to the balcony like a little girl looking around in awe. "It's beautiful!"

     The Brute cleared his throat. "We must begin."

     Bria backed away. "Heh... sorry."

     "We're going to teach you a series of skills that you can use with your powers. This first is the hardest, yet the most simple. Dividing your power into an object or person to make it yours. Make it immortal and indestructible." He gestured. "Take a seat."

     He did so, but Bria hesitated.

     "I would say it would be okay, but I would lie. This may be painful." He warned.

     Bria looked at Tyra, then back at the Brute.

     "It's okay..." it couldn't be that painful.

     Bria sat down across from him on the floor. The Brute sat two swords in front of her.

     "Close your eyes." He instructed.

     Bria obeyed.

     "Concentrate on your power. Imagine it as it is. A purple flame."

     Bria imagined a purple flame in front of her in the darkness. She studied it. The way it moved. The way it burned.

     "Keep concentrating, but open your eyes."

     She obeyed. The purple flame was still in front of her, however, no one could see it but her.

     Tyra was quite fascinated as she watched, but she didn't know what was going on.

     "Grab the swords."

     Bria reached and grabbed the cold handles.

     "Now, the same way you cast the powers out, concentrate on the swords."

     She did so. Consented her entire power on those swords. Her hands immediately felt an intense heat. It startled her, but she didn't let go.

     "More." The Brute repeated.

     She pushed and more heat traveled up her arms. Then she felt a sharp pain.

     It got worse the more she held on.