Chapter 10: Love (愛)

You looked at the door.
"Yes, I'm awake" you said.
"Can I come in?"
"...okay"

He opens the door, to find you in your futon ready for bed.
"If this is a good time, I wanted to know what happened back there, at the mountains. You were really mad at me" he said.

"...you figured that out?"
"I smelled it on you this whole time"

You didn't say anything.
"(Y/n), please talk to me. For whatever I did, I'm sorry. I don't want you to hate me forever"
"It's not that I hate you, Tanjiro. It's because you made me feel weak" you said.

"I did say I'll be able to protect you, and you were okay with that"
"Yeah, well, now I just don't know about that anymore. You hurt me Tanjiro. Not physically, but mentally, and you didn't even know it until"

Tanjiro sat down to get a bit closer to you.
"I'm sorry...maybe I have been blind to not realize that, you're not some damsel in distress. And I respect you entirely. And if you need space, then I understand, I'll leave you alone" he said.

Tanjiro slowly got up as he was making his way to the door.
"Wait...sit back down" you said.
He turns around to look at you, as he slowly made his way back to sit.

"I think I should apologize as well. Even if you knew I was upset at you, you were still being nice to me"

"Of course, no matter what you do, I'll always stick by you. And no matter what happens, I'll try to make sure you smile no matter what" he said.

You looked at Tanjiro for a while, and almost broke into tears. You slowly hugged his lower waist, to his surprise but gently smiled at you and softly caress your head.

You held his hand and placed it to your lips.
"How can you do this to me" you said.
Tanjiro looks down at you.
"You really did make me fall for you..." you said.
"So that means...you want to be with me?"

You lifted your upper body up, and nod. Tanjiro was so happy, as if a child received a new toy.

Tanjiro hesitated for a moment but he gives you a kiss on the cheek. Him not knowing what you'd enjoy since you always carry an emotionless expression.

But you looked a bit confused as he did that.
"Wh...what was that?" You said.
"I, uhm, gave you a kiss...on the...cheek?" He motioned his hand to your cheek.

You touched it and wondered. It felt really nice to you.
"Where else can you do that?"
Tanjiro blushed a thousand shades of red. He couldn't believe that you were innocent on all that.

"(Y/n), have you not done this before...? With, Sabito I mean..."
"I...I think I have if I can remember...but it's been so long, and I have been trying to forget the memories of my past before"

"Don't you feel like you want to keep the good memories though?"
"...no, never..."

Tanjiro looked seeing you pretty upset. Though he wanted you to feel comfort and loved again. So he slowly went up and kissed your lips.

You looked a little shocked by his actions as he soon pulled away.
"... maybe now that you're with me, I'll help you create good memories. We'll do it together" he says.

Tanjiro cups your cheek and caresses it with his thumb. You touch his hand on your cheek. You started to really enjoy his touches.

After that you hug him, as he starts to hug back. He strokes your hair. There was a good moment of silence until you spoke.

"Will you love this part of me...?" you asked.
"Of course I will" Tanjiro said softly.

"...I feel like I'm taking a big risk here. What if...something bad happens to you? Or what if we we're completely different after all...?"
"Why would you think that?" He says.