Chapter 17: Pride (誇り)

As soon as the debris was swept away, the three of you saw who it was.

And it was an upper moon, upper moon three.

In a flash, the upper moon was going after Tanjiro. As soon as he was about to hit, Rengoku strikes.

"Breathe of Flames, Second Style, Ascending Blazing Sky!"

A wheel of flames cuts through the moon demon's arm. The demon flips back as Rengoku takes his stand behind Tanjiro. You do the same and ready yourself.

The demon puts his arm back together.
"Nice blade" he said as he licked his arm.

"So this is...an upper moon, and feeling the intense pressure and dread. Rengoku we got to watch out for this guy" you said.
"I know, what I just cannot understand is why he's  targeting a wounded person"

"I just thought he'd get in our way between you and me. You though, I don't want you to get in our way either, since I don't fight women, stay out of this. That's a warning" the demon points out to you.

His response made you even more mad.

"That's going to be a problem, cause I'm not backing down" you said.
"Sorry doll, but it's just me and him. Besides I'm sure the other upper moons will deal with you" the demon says.

You glared at him in anger.

"You and I have something to talk about? It's our first time meeting, but I already hate you" Rengoku says.
"Is that so? I really hate weak humans, too. When I look at weaklings I just feel disgusted"

"It looks like you and I have different moral values in regards to things" Rengoku said.
"I see. Then I have a wonderful proposal. How about how about you become a demon, too"

"No chance" Rengoku says.

"I know your strength just by looking at you. You two are pillars, right? Your battle spirits are quite polished. You two seem to be getting close to supreme territory. Then again, that girl is a pillar, I'm not gonna fight her as much as you. So let me just keep my eyes on you for now" he said.

"...I am the flame pillar, Rengoku Kyoujurou"

"And I'm Akaza...Kyoujurou, I'll tell you why you aren't crossing into supreme territory. Because you're human. Because you'll grow old, because you'll die" Akaza points out.

"Become a demon Kyoujurou. If you do, you could be able to train for a hundred. Even two hundred years. You can become stronger"

Tanjiro was in panic. He was trying to look everywhere for his sword.

"Growing old and dying is the beauty of fleeting creatures called a human being. Because they grow old. Because they die. They are tremendous, lovable, and precious. What they call "strength" isn't a word that is used in regards to the body. This boy isn't weak. Don't insult him. And just because (y/n) is a woman, doesn't mean she's weak either. She is one of the most strongest and beautiful women I have ever met. I'll say it over and over again. You and I have different moral values. No matter what kind of motivation I may have, I will not become a demon"

Akaza narrows his eyes.
"...I see"
He takes stance, and soon a  marking shaped like a snowflake is seen on the ground.

"Technique Deployment, Destructive kill: Compass Needle"

"If you won't become a demon, then I'll kill you!"
Soon Akaza jumps forward taking first attack.

"First style: Sea of Fire!"

Tanjiro gasps as he couldn't make up their speed. As the two clashed, a huge noise was certainly heard from a distance.

You didn't want to stand and not do anything, so you thought of something that won't get the demon to notice you.