Chapter 18: Girls (女の子)

"You should try to go to my parent's house, the Rengoku house. There should be some notes which the 'flame pillars' of old left behind. My father often reads those, but...I never read them, so I don't know what's inside them. But there may be some record...about this 'dance of the fire god' you were talking about."

"Ren-Rengoku, that's enough...please stop the bleeding with your breath...isn't there a way to plug up the wound up?" Tanjiro says with tears in his eyes.

Rengoku smiles.
"There isn't. I'm going to die very soon. I'm going to talk while I still can, so hear me out. Tanjiro, I want you to tell my little brother Senjuro, that he should proceed down the path that he thinks is right, as his heart tells him to. Tell my father to take care of his body. And also, Kamado. My boy. I believe in your sister. I accept her as a demon hunter. Inside the train, I saw that girl protect the humans despite her bleeding out. Those who risk their lives to protect humans, are worth being demon hunters no matter what. Live with you chest high. Flame up your heart, grit your teeth and move forward...don't worry about me dying here. It's natural to become a the shield of your juniors, right (y/n)?"

You agreed with his words, but you couldn't bear seeing Rengoku like that.

"Rengoku..."
" Kamado, my boy. Inogashira, my boy. Golden boy, you all have ways to grow. And next time, you will all become pillars who will support the demon hunters. I believe in you. (Y/n), be sure you and everyone else do their best to defeat the upper moons, I have faith in all of you. I'm glad...I was on the team" he said.

You didn't want to cry, after all being a pillar meant more deadlier tasks. But those were his final words, and you just didn't know where your emotions would take you. But inside you knew, you were devastated.

It was bright of day, and no victory was established, but his pride and glory.
_____
"When the train derailed...Rengoku and you used a lot of techniques" Zenistu says.
"Mostly Rengoku. My legs got broken so I couldn't do much"

"I can't believe it...for him to die and (y/n) with two broken legs...did an upper moon actually come?"
"Yeah..." Tanjiro said.
"Why would an upper moon come here like that...was he that strong? That can't..."
"Yeah..."

"Tanjiro, we're going to face obstacles like this...I'm devastated too, but...we chose this path so we have to live up to it. No matter how hard it gets" you said.

"I know...it's just...I hate it...even if I was able to do just a single thing, there was a thick wall in front of me. Even though I should've been able to help you two out, I still couldn't get to you both. It felt like I was stumbling then...and now...now Rengoku is dead, and the person I love has two broken legs...so can I even become Rengoku?"

You cupped Tanjiro's cheek wiping the tears away as the other grabbed his hand. Zenistu was trying not to cry, and Inosuke was shivering.

"Don't go spewing out timid ass words! All that talk about whether you can be or can't be like him is pointless! He says that he believes in us! Don't think about anything else, except living up to it! Creatures that die just return to earth! He won't come back, even if you bawl it! Don't cry even, if you feel regret! No matter how miserable you are, how embarrassed you are, just keep living!" Inosuke says.

"But you're crying too...there are tears coming out of that headpiece"
"I ain't crying!" Inosuke headbutts Zenistu.

"Waa! Come over here! Time for training!" Inosuke drags Tanjiro and starts hitting him. You couldn't move, if you did it would be a massive pain.

But you just couldn't believe you were kept alive from the upper moon. All because you were a girl, but he breaks your legs.

Sadness and rage came within you. It's not fair, I didn't make sense. You weren't weak, and yet he managed to put you down. The upper moons strength was immense.