Chapter 20: Hidden (隠れ)

Within the district, Zenistu and you both got chosen in the Kyougoku house. You were just sitting, holding a shamisen but not playing.

You were too focus and trying to sense where the demon would be.

In fact none of the girls couldn't play because of Zenistu's harsh play of the instrument.

The girls were amazed by Zenistu's technique, but they also observed the two of you that recently got brought in.

"She's so ugly...except for the one on the right, she has really pretty red hair" one girl says.
"I bet the other one managed to get in because of her..." the other one says.

"I heard that the guy who brought them in was super nice"
"Really I wanted to see him!"
"They say the brothel madam was just spacing out"

Soon a woman walked out of nowhere.
"I understand them"
"Huh?"
"I feel her fighting spirit. She wants to have payback against the guy who abandoned her. And the other one is just shy so she'll learn how to grow out of it"

"I...is that so..."

While Zenistu is strumming out of control, you concentrated hard to get signals out of the demon. But no luck came through.

This is strange. They're so well hidden, that I don't think this is just some regular demon. I wonder if Uzui feels the same.
_____
Once everything was over, you scolded Zenistu for his recklessness.
"I think you should understand what we're here for" you said lowly.
"I'm sorry, I lost sight of myself"

"It's okay, we just need to find 'Hinatsuru' so I'd like it if you'd stay focused"
"I've been listening in this whole time, but there's nothing about Hinatsuru. I've heard about the madam dying two days ago or something. So everyone's feeling gloomy, no one's talking" Zenistu says quietly.

He uses his sense of hearing again, while you looked around for clues.
"Well awfully strange for someone to die randomly. It came from this house so if we—"
"Wait a girl is crying!"

"What?"
"That's a big problem" Zenistu runs to the sound of cries.
"Zen—! Wait!"

As Zenistu rushed to the source, he sees a room all destroyed.
A girl on the floor was crying.
"Wha...what happened to this room! It's all messed up!" Zenistu said.

The girl looks up at Zenistu all disheveled.
"A f—a fight?! Did you fight?! You okay?!"
The girl started to cry once again.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to get ma...mad at you! Sorry!"

You soon find Zenistu.
"Zenistu what are you doing?!" You asked.

You then looked around the room.

This didn't look like an accident.

"I'm sorry it's just she must be worried about something"
"We need to go—"

Soon a sudden sense of surprise took over the two. A oiran woman behind them. You started to sense the change of air in the environment.

"What're you two doing in someone else's room?"
You turn your head slowly. Looking at the oiran woman, she had a face of hatred.

You kept your cool, staring in the eyes of the intimating woman.

The intimidation. Giyuu always taught you to never waver from the little things. Especially people.

"Well? What's wrong with her? Are you two deaf or something?"
You were analyzing this strange woman.
"...we were just leaving" you said.

Soon two girls trembles through the doorway.
"Warabi-hime-oiran...those two girls were the ones who came in yesterday or the day before, so..."