Chapter 36: Cry (泣く)

"So the girl was temporarily free from Muzan's control due to his weakened state...so I asked for her help in defeating him. She was hesitant at first, but agreed. Her name was Tamayo...and she had sad eyes"

"Tamayo?! That girl is Tamayo?!"

"Then I heard from my comrades who rushed to me...that my older brother had become a demon. I...had failed to defeat Kibutsuji...and I had allowed Tamayo to escape...and my brother had become a demon, so they banished me from demon slaying. Some even said that I should commit suicide"

"My master who had just become our leader at age six, would not allow that...and I was sure that if I committed suicide, then I would further put Akiko in utter loneliness. I was sorry to further burden a suffering woman and child...who had just lost their own family members"

"But it wasn't your fault, Yoriichi..." Tanjiro says.
"I think...I was born with special strength for the purpose of defeating Kibutsuji Muzan. But I was lacking. And in the I end failed. Because of that, many more people will die from now on. And that pains me.

"I can't...speak. So many things had happened to Yoriichi...that I couldn't find any words to offer. I thought that perhaps my ancestor Sumiyoshi might say something, but...the silence continued for a while..."

"I want to do something...he came here because he's deeply hurt. I need some way to..."

Soon a tiny hand tugged on Yoriichi's sleeve.
"Hug!"

"Uhm...would you mind holding her? She'll be happy if you lift her high, and you're taller than I am so..."

Yoriichi didn't say a word and just lifted the child up high. This made the baby giggle in delight.

"Kya haha haa!"
And because of the child's laughter, Yoriichi spilled tears from his eyes. Seeing the happiness of what a little girl did to him.

"Sumiyoshi, we're back! Akiko helped me pick out chestnuts this year, look how big they are!"

Sumiyoshi's wife and Akiko then stopped to witness Yoriichi hugging little child in tears.

"What happened..? Hmm, oh it's Yoriichi!"
Akiko walks up to Yoriichi and kneels down to him.
"Yoriichi...are you alright?"

Yoriichi looks at Akiko and soon gives her a hug which startles her, but hugs back.
"What has gotten into you? I was only gone for a couple of minutes. *sigh* Did you missed me that much?" She rubs his head.

"I'm sure it'll be fine! Come on I'll feed you a nice big meal! Okay? So cheer up" Yoriichi gets up and looks at Akiko with heartwarming eyes.

"Akiko...thank you"
"For what exactly?" She tilts her head.
"For sticking with me to the end..."
Akiko didn't say anything after and just cupped his face.
"I know it's been hard for us both. But continue living on. Because I'm just happy to be with you till the end..." she softly smiles.

Yoriichi grabs her hands from his face and entwines it with his.

"I know I'm in the middle of a fight...and that Yoriichi died hundreds of years ago, but...I can't help but wish that his heart finds even a little peace...also that woman...she almost has (y/n)'s features...could she be her ancestor? She's so beautiful...I hope she stays with Yoriichi for a long time"
_____

"This is unbearable! I can't seem to get close to him at all!!" You said.

It was bad enough that every swing was getting faster, and your body was slowly starting to get numb.

"I can't shield Himejima! I'm about to be immobile soon!"

It was hard enough with just luck and intuition to see and dodge an attack, and getting hit wasn't the best either for the poison to kick in.