Chapter I

I

I. Uncharted Waters

273 a.c.

It had been a little more than two months ever since her mother had passed away but for Livia, it already seemed as if a century had passed.

The Rock which used to be so full of color now seemed gloomy and lifeless. The sounds of laughter were gone, replaced by silence. Every bit of joy had vanished and it was as if everyone had disappeared from the rooms of the fortress.

The only person she spoke to now was her brother, Jaime. Jaime, who had taken the grief in stride. She was grateful that her brother did not blame their youngest sibling as Cersei had.

Neither Cersei nor their youngest brother, Tyrion were at fault. After all, they were all just victims of the tragedy that had befallen their family.

After their lessons, Livia and Jaime would visit Tyrion in his crib, to watch him gurgle nonsense but otherwise, it would be quiet. Cersei had chosen to keep everyone out of her life, just as their father did. It was something they had in common.

It was so very quiet until one day when Lord Tywin called Livia to his quarters. Livia had been in the library, reading up the histories when she was called by her father.

She hurriedly climbed the steps leading to his quarters and when she got there, she hesitated by the door. With her hand raised, she took a deep breath before knocking.

"Come in." She heard her father's distinct voice come from inside.

She entered seeing her father surrounded by scrolls and rolls of parchment. The candles in his lamps were also melted, a sign that he had been working through the night again.

As Hand of the King it was a normal occurence and no longer a shock to her. They were all lucky enough to even have him there when usually he would be addressing business all around Westeros for the king.

Did her lord father even sleep, Livia wondered.

"Sit." The command in that one word echoed throughout the room.

Livia moved to follow, sitting on the red cushioned chair in front of her father. He said no more as he handed her the parchment that was on his desk just moments ago.

Looking down at the words written down, her eyes widened with each new thing that she read. When she finished, she looked up at her father in shock.

"Princess Loreza of Dorne will be travelling here in a moon's time. She will be accompanied by two of her children. Elia and Oberyn Martell. It is obvious what her intentions are." Lord Tywin spoke, a hidden test in his statement.

And Livia knew it.

"Marriage. She wants to arrange a match between her children and one of us." She answered, sure in her words.

After all, why else would the princess bring her children with her? Both were just slightly older than her but she had heard word that they were looking for possible prospects for marriage.

Her father never took her and her siblings anywhere unless they had a part to play.

For a moment, she saw a flash of approval in her father's eyes before it was once again covered with indifference. "That is correct. Though I am not sure if this match should even be made in the first place."

"Why is that, father?" Livia asked, confused as to why her father wouldn't want a match with the Martells.

The Martells are one of the great houses of Westeros. They were a powerful family and would make for a great alliance.

But what Tywin Lannister left unsaid was the fact that it was not enough. He has had an ongoing dream that his son would be Lord of Casterly Rock and his daughter would be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

How can his daughter be queen if he will only marry her to a Dornish prince and a second son for that matter?

"Nothing is set in stone yet. Your mother may have exchanged letters with the princess but that doesn't ensure anything until I say so." He answered, making it clear that there was no room for debate.

Livia nodded before standing up. "Will that be all, Father?"

"You will be in charge for preparing for the Martells' arrival. Don't let me down." Tywin commanded, wanting to test his daughter's potential.

She was, after all, the future of the house and he couldn't have her be brought up spoilt rotten. Greatness wasn't born, they were made.

It was time for her to grow up. Especially in a world like this, Livia Lannister had to leave her childhood behind to be the daughter her father wanted her to be.

"Of course I won't, father."

<>------<>

Throughout the month, Livia had preoccupied her time with preparations for the Martells' arrival. Of course, she wasn't alone in it, her Aunt Genna and Uncle Tygett helping her with all of it.

Though they simply aided her while she did most of the duty. It was a test, after all. All of it. After each test her father has given her, a new one would take its place and Livia has not failed a single one.

Even if it came with the price of rest and time. She no longer had time to see her siblings or to walk the edges of the Rock as she once had. To be honest, she missed it all but there was no time for silly fantasies.

Those didn't exist anymore.

For a young girl, it was too much. But for a first-born Lannister, it was just right. She was now like her father, trapped by four walls and stacks of parchment to get her through the night.

If she were to look in the mirror, she was no longer just Livvy, she was Lady Livia Lannister, daughter of Tywin Lannister.

And for a long while, that was all she would ever be.

<>-------------------------<>

A/N
First chapter!! Wahhh, this is amazing. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! What do you all think of Livia's childhood? Something different, that's for sure.

Also, please check out Golden Winter, I'll be updating it soon!!