Chapter XXXV

XXXV

XXXV. History Repeats Itself

285 A.C.

A knock came from the door, making Livia turn from her place on the balcony.

"Come in." She called out, moving towards the inner chambers to see her brother, Jaime enter the room.

It had been a fortnight and three days since Robert and his retinue left for Winterfell. A few weeks that felt like an eternity since she let the love of her life go.

Every day had been harder than the last. Waking up was painful without his arms around her. Going to sleep was difficult when she only heard silence instead of his heartbeats.

The year began so silently as if the realm was holding its breath before something terrible was going to happen.

Jaime stayed behind, much to Robert's insistence, claiming that he would only be comfortable leaving, knowing that one of the best knights in the Seven Kingdoms was there to protect her.

"Livvy," Jaime started, as she waved him to the solar where she still had her lunch of elk meatballs stuffed with sour cherries.

Livia stuffed one in her mouth before turning to look at her brother with an expectant look. "Yes?"

Jaime wrinkled his nose at her. "First of all, that is disgusting. How can you eat something like that?"

"You are a man therefore you do not have the right to judge a pregnant woman's cravings. Besides our mother ate lime alone when she was pregnant with you and Cersei." She retorted, her hand on her belly.

He chuckled, shaking his head before turning serious. "Livvy, I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What about?" She asked, getting worried.

"I saw the way you looked at the king and don't bother denying it. You love him, you do love him." He took in a deep breath before continuing. "So why did you let him go?"

Livia sighed, taking her brother's hand. "Can you believe that I think that Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark loved each other?"

"You believe that? Why?" He asked in disbelief.

"They loved each other enough that they damned the world for their love. For once, I just want love to be selfless and good and happy. Brother, if I forced him to stay, I would only suffocate him. He deserves to heal, he deserves to move on from the past as I have. He can't do that if he stays here." She answered, breathing in a shaky breath.

"What changed?" Jaime asked.

'Everything.' She thought.

"I have known only two things in my life. Family and duty, but I know it is not enough." She answered, smiling sadly at him. "I love him and I want to be with him but selfishness is not in my nature. For once, love outweighs my duties. Most of all, I want him to be happy, to be free. We do things we do not want to do for the people we love."