Chapter XXVI

XXVI

XXVI. Monarchs and their Trust

"My queen, I must object to what you plan to do."

"Livvy, you don't have to go out there."

Ignoring Cersei and one of her guards, Livia stepped out of her carriage, much to the surprise of her guards.

Livia walked among the people who all stared as she headed towards a small broken building that she was told was a place for all the sick and wounded of the city.

She looked the structure up and down, seeing the cracked stone and dirty floors. These people were in such harsh conditions and they were meant to be healing.

Livia stepped forward, only to be stopped by one of the men at the entrance of the building.

"You don't want to get in there, miss." The man's gruff voice said.

One of her guards drew his sword, pointing at the man. "You will address the queen properly!"

The man's eyes widened in shock at the presence of the weapon. Things always tend to worsen when men drew their swords.

Livia placed a hand on the sword's hilt, pushing it back in its sheath. "It's alright. Put your sword away."

The knight did as he was told before glaring at the man.

The man bowed, still pale. "Forgive me, Your Grace. But you really don't want to go in there."

"Why is that?" Livia asked, hearing the groans of pain and coughs coming from inside. If there was any way she could help, she would do it.

"It's disgusting in there, not fit for a royal as yourself. You'd only be disappointed." The man answered.

"All the more you should let me through. If there is anything I can do for this establishment then how will I know what to do if I don't see what to improve?" She smiled before pushing through and entering. 

Upon entering, she caught a whiff of something rotten. All around her were cracked marble and wounded soldiers. 

Seven hells, the war's effects were still in here.

A plump woman dressed in white, covered in brown stains, most probably blood, approached Livia. "My lady, is there anything you need?"

"Yes, are you the head of this establishment?" Livia asked.

"Yes, my lady. We are just a few in the city who wish to aid the wounded. There are so many wounded and we just wanted to do our part." Upon seeing the knights entering after Livia, the woman's eyes widened. "Forgive me, my queen. It's not much but it's all these men have."

Livia approached the woman, taking one of her hands into her own. "I do not wish to take this away from you. I wish to help, in any way that I can."

"My queen, I-" The woman started before they were interrupted by the sound of someone yelling in one of the beds, a soldier.