Chapter IX

IX

IX. How Far the Mighty have Fallen

283 A.C.

It was as if the whole throne room went quiet as everyone stared at the figure who emerged. His hair flowing behind him like a regal knight, his eyes tired yet bright and his posture still straight.

The child on Livia's lap, her hair half-braided squirmed, reaching her tiny hands toward the figure in glee. "Papa!" She squealed.

"Shh, my love. You have to be quiet now." Livia whispered, pressing a finger to her lips.

Rhaenys nodded, giggling a little as she covered her mouth.

King Aerys let out a laugh that echoed all throughout the room. "Come home at last?" He asked the figure, mockingly.

Livia turned from the figure to the king. He was no longer the regal man who ascended the throne, she noticed. His hair was long and unruly. His nails were untrimmed and his arms covered in scabs. He looked more a leper than a king.

"Yes father. I have returned." Prince Rhaegar said, his tone somber. So different from the bright prince Livia knew before. Now, he was just a mere man, nothing more.

"Done with your whoring? Maybe you can finally lead the army against the usurper." The king said, raising an eyebrow as if he was merely discussing what was for dinner instead of the fate of the realm.

Livia fully expected Rhaegar to get angry and lose his temper but he only stood his ground, as if tired. "Yes, I will lead the army against Robert. I will end this rebellion once and for all."

In the place of thunderous applause, only silent ensued and she found herself turning to Elia. Elia, her head turned down in tears. The Dornish princess truly did love him and this was how he repaid her.

Livia's blood boiled as everyone turned to exit the throne room after being dismissed. She lifted Rhaenys from her lap and set her upon her tiny feet.

"Will we come see Papa?" Little Rhaenys asked, as she turned to see the prince looking upon the throne.

"Later, my sweet. I'm sure your papa will see you later." Livia answered, smiling softly. She did not know if he was truly going to visit his daughter but making the little girl smile was her top priority at the moment.

If she could not make Elia smile, the least she could do was make Elia's daughter happy.

"Play with Aegon now." Rhaenys demanded, racing after her mother who was carrying her brother.

Livia was left standing in the throne room, now almost empty. Only two figures occupied it. A knight and his prince.

She took soft steps towards the two, almost eavesdropping yet hearing nothing. She approached, close enough that they noticed that she was there.