Chapter XXIII

XXIII

XXIII. Respite

Robert sat in his seat, unsure why he felt that way.

The small council meeting had ended and everyone had already dispersed, leaving but one.

"Your Grace?" Jon said, making Robert turn to the Hand.

He should feel overjoyed at the news yet he felt dismayed, not because he particularly cared but he was saddened because he knew how Livia would react to the news.

"Jon, how will I tell her about this?" Robert asked, looking up at the man who had been like a father to him.

During the meeting, they had discussed the recent news of what happened in Dragonstone. Rhaella Targaryen had perished with her children as their boat sunk in the stormy waters.

Jon sat in the seat beside him. "What do you mean?"

"Livia had been close to the queen. She...I do not wish to make her upset anymore, Jon." Robert answered, looking down and remembering the way he treated her.

And the way she forgave him despite it.

"Yes, I heard about what she did for you." Jon said as he recalled how understanding the young queen had been, finding the king herself with no hesitation and taking care of him through the night.

"Maybe I shouldn't tell her. She deserves better." Robert mumbled, hoping that Jon wouldn't hear him but he did.

"Then give her better and start by telling her. Don't hide secrets from her now. You'd be doing a lot more harm by keeping it from her." Jon advised. Never had he seen the young Baratheon feel terrible about hurting someone's feelings. At least, not until today.

Robert thought long and hard before coming to something. It was doable but he didn't know if she would agree to it.

"Do we have any more council meetings for the next few days." Robert asked, standing up with a renewed gleam in his eyes.

"No, there isn't, unless there is to be an emergency. " Jon replied, looking at Robert curiously. "What have you got planned?"

"You'll see. But first, will you do me a favor?"

°•°•°•°•°•°

She did not deserve any of this. The power, the position, the life.

She did not deserve to live, not when everyone around her had died.

Livia had heard the news early in the morning after Robert had left for the small council meeting.

Lady Lydden, Thisel had told her the news she had heard from one of the knights.

Rhaella and Viserys Targaryen had passed away, along with the newborn baby girl. They had tried to flee Dragonstone but the waves proved too difficult and the boat had sunk.