Chapter XI

XI

XI. Kneel before your King

Livia walked towards the throne with Lord Varys in tow, his words echoing in her ears.

"Lady Livia!" King Aerys called out with a fake smile plastered on his face. "You have no idea how happy I am that you have come to join us."

Livia stopped a distance from the throne, bowing. "Your Grace. Forgive me but as of late, I just have not been feeling too well."

"Oh, you seem fine to me now. How wonderful!" The king answered, a smirk slowly growing. "I know you miss the queen. I miss holding her and touching her and well, having her in the marital bed."

Livia clenched her teeth. How vile could the king get?

Before she could reply, Maester Pycelle cleared his throat. "Perhaps we should discuss the matters at hand."

King Aerys's eyes widened as if suddenly remembering. "Oh yes, of course. The matters at hand."

The king rose from his throne and Livia caught a glimpse of the shadow of a king. Dirty, unkempt, and disgusting. Words usually used to describe a beggar could now be used to describe the king.

The king slowly approached Livia with a serious expression on his face. "Lady Livia, do you know that your father, Lord Tywin Lannister is at the gates of King's Landing?"

Livia looked him straight in the eye. "Yes, Your Grace. Lord Varys has told me so."

"Your father has already pledged loyalty to me, did you know that as well?" He questioned, his eyes glinting dangerously.

"No I did not, but my father would not betray the crown. I know this. Of course he would pledge his loyalty." She answered, her tone not betraying her.

"And yet he spent all this time waiting. He did not do anything to aid me, now that we are defeated, he comes to King's Landing to pledge his loyalty?" The king scoffed.

Livia was about to answer, to defend her father when King Aerys turned to Jaime. "Ser Jaime, what do you think?"

"I-my lord father," Jaime stuttered, his eyes flickering to Livia's.

Her eyes spoke only of one thing.

Loyalty. Loyalty to the family. To the Lannisters.

Inside Jaime's heart, a storm brewed as he tried to decide between his duty as a knight or his duty as a son. Yet one outweighed the other.

A choice that he would regret.

"Do not open the gates, my king. It is better to keep everyone else out, to keep the people safe, to remain in the Keep." Jaime answered.

Livia's eyes widened as she cringed internally.

"I agree with Ser Jaime, Your Grace. It is best to not let Lord Tywin inside. He has not shown any preference in this war, we do not know of his side, of his choices." Lord Varys added, with a nod.

The king, overcome with choices turned to Maester Pycelle. "And you? What do you think?"

The maester licked his lips before answering. "Lord Tywin has been loyal all this time, of course he should be let in. He may aid the realm now."

King Aerys took a step back from Livia before letting out a laugh. "So many options. My, what shall I do?"

He turned to the Iron Throne and all was silent.

It was as if the king was conversing with the throne. Jaime's eyes turned to Livia's in disbelief but she refused to meet his eyes.

Before the knight could approach his sister, the king cleared his throat.

King Aerys announced loudly though there were only four people with him in the room. "It seems as if Lord Tywin cannot be trusted, he must not be let in and he shall face th-"

"Your Grace!" Livia cut him off, taking his hands into her. The king's untrimmed nails digging into her sleeves.

The king was about to reprimand her for interrupting his announcement when she hesitantly and carefully knelt down at his feet, his hands still in hers.

"My father has been nothing but loyal to you, he has done nothing to betray the realm or you. He has been your servant for a great many years. He was and still is your steward." Livia spoke up. "Tell me, why would he betray you now?

Jaime was shocked at the sight to see his sister kneeling before the king but he knew then what she was doing. She was doing what he failed to do.

She was trying to save their father and their name even though he had endangered them by indirectly calling his father a traitor.

King Aerys looked down then at the golden haired beauty at his feet, looking at him with those green eyes. He realized just how much Livia Lannister looked like her mother Joanna, the girl he had pined over for so long.

He found himself stroking her cheeks in adoration. She was so very beautiful. So young and so pure. How could he not believe her?

"Lord Tywin is not a traitor. Let him in." King Aerys spoke, his eyes not leaving Livia.

"Your Grace but I-" Lord Varys attempted to convince him otherwise but it was too late. He had already made up his mind.

"Did you not hear what I said? He is to be let in at once!" The king announced as everyone left to carry out his orders.

As everyone bustled about, the king pulled Livia to stand. "I trust you, my dear. You are the only one here whom I trust." He stroked her cheek once before turning back to his throne.

Livia bowed before leaving to head back to her room.

What had she done?

°•°•°•°

Livia stood by a window, pouring herself a good amount of Dornish red. She watched the city in silence, aware of the secrets she hid and the lies she had spoken.

Her father would never pick the losing side. Her father would never take chances or risks unless he was certain of the outcome.

He would not enter King's Landing as a hero when Robert Baratheon had just defeated Rhaegar Targaryen.

Robert Baratheon. Who would have thought?

Lord Tywin Lannister would enter the city with an army to conquer the city and take it in the name of the winning side.

She swallowed the bitter drink as a tear slipped from her eye.

These people did not know what was going to happen to them and neither did she. But she had to stay alive, she had to keep Jaime alive. Even if she had to lie and scheme to do so.

Livia finished the goblet and poured herself another as she watched the army of Casterly Rock enter the city.

What had she done? What had she chosen? Was it right? Could the gods ever forgive her?

What had she done?

<>----------------<>

Heyooo! Hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! Definitely one of the most interesting ones to write but it's nothing compared to what's coming. ;> Stay safe everybody, lots of kisses from me! (From a safe distance of course)

Also as a small surprise, I have also added a trailer for this book! It's in the Prologue part. Not the best but I tried psshhh.