Chapter XXII

XXII

XXII. Oddly Enough

Livia couldn't remember the last time she took care of someone who was sick.

Her siblings had only been struck by mild fevers and colds that thankfully, her aunt Genna helped with and when she got sick, it was never extreme. The worse that had happened to her was a flu that lasted a day.

 Not that she was taking care of someone sick but he definitely acted like a child.

"No!" Robert grumbled when she tried to force him to drink water.

The stupid man had drunk himself sick and instead of calling servants to take care of him, Livia had decided to take care of him herself. 

Better to keep this event under the wraps. Only the Kingsguard and herself saw him fall off his horse, vomit his guts out, and faint ungracefully.

The king of the seven kingdoms in all his glory. Livia had crinkled her nose at the sight but she saw Jaime break into a small frown. They had carried him to his chambers, where she was now trying to get him to drink water.

She had already spoken with Lord Arryn and the small council meeting was moved to the next day. With a word of thanks and a wish for luck, she was left alone with Robert.

After Robert's mumbles and murmurs, he fell back asleep. 

Livia proceeded to use a small cloth to clean his face as he snored softly. She wiped his face clean of sweat and grime, making her wonder.

Where had he been?

She made sure to leave a small bucket at his bedside, just in case he decided he wanted to spill his guts once more.

Livia was about to stand, to head outside and leave Robert for the night when he heard him start to mumble.

"Robert?" She questioned, about to move from the door and back to his bedside but she stopped herself. 

She shouldn't. Should she?

When he didn't reply, Livia's eyes widened as she realized. He was having a nightmare. Just as she had these past few days.

She had two choices. She could go to her own chambers and go about with everything as if nothing had happened. The gods know that he deserves it. Or she could stay and take care of Robert to make sure he doesn't get worse.

Right before she could come to a decision, she heard Robert call out. "He's gone! Dead! What's wrong with me?"

At that, her heart ached at his broken voice. Many times she had asked herself the same question. What was wrong with her, that she couldn't protect the people she wanted to protect, that she made decisions that hurt people?

What was wrong with them?

Livia sighed, cursing herself internally. 

Seven hells, I better not regret this.