Chapter XXXI

XXXI

XXXI. Still Here

"Where did you go?"

Livia looked up at Robert, still in his arms, breaking the silence but she had to know. 

Robert met her eyes. "I gathered your guards to go to the inn you went to."

"Was it that important to you? Because of the uprising?" She asked, after all, he had left her to go do so.

She was happy enough that he was still there instead of leaving like she thought he did but did the uprising really hold the utmost importance?

"The uprising's been stopped actually. Jon spoke to Prince Doran." He replied, making her brows furrow in confusion.

"Then why-" She started.

"For you." He answered, rubbing circles on her arm. "I could see how much pain it brought you and I wanted to ease some of the pain. I'm sorry that I said those things. I was afraid, absolutely terrified that you would surely leave."

She smiled, glad to hear him opening up to her. "I know. I was afraid too." 

"I wouldn't have left, I promise." He said.

Livia lay her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeats. "Thank you." 

For staying. For listening.

Robert planted a soft kiss on her head. "Thank you."

For telling me. For showing me.

Silence descended upon them again and Livia had thought that he had already fallen asleep when he started moving.

Robert slowly let go of his tight embrace on her and turned on his side so that he faced her. The two of them, face to face.

Livia knew how tired she must've looked after the day's events but she saw how exhausted Robert was too. It was worth all the pain. If she had known that she would no longer have to hide anything from him.

He smiled softly as if he had heard her thoughts. Then his face turned serious, making her worry. When he started to speak, her heart warmed at his words.

"When my father sent me to the Eyrie, I was angry because I felt as if he pushed me away from home. Only my mother remained, writing letters, for a time, she was the only one I cared for. Then their ship sank and I regretted every anger I harbored for them, even my father." Robert spoke and she realized what he was doing.

Just as she had done, he was telling her everything. No more secrets in between, nothing more keeping them apart.

"I buried all the pain with whoring and drinking and fighting. When I saw Lyanna Stark, I just had to have her and when she left, I couldn't accept it. Starting the war because of my pride and killing Rhaegar Targaryen did nothing to ease my pain. It only gave me more nightmares. I didn't want to marry you because you knew me before the war, you would've seen how broken I was after it." He paused, taking a deep breath.