Chapter XVI

XVI

XVI. Shattered Hopes

284 A.C.

Oberyn,

The sun rises and sets                           
The moon waxes and wanes                   
A woman awaiting a threat               
For someone was holding her chains

Hopeless, lost, and afraid                           
Thinking of the better days                   

To all the gods, she prayed                     
To escape the madman's fiery blaze

She would dream of a better life         
For all whom she loved dearly           
Free from all the pain and the strife   
She could see that future clearly

The day of reckoning came                       
And she fought to the last                          
Free from the confines of the game         
Finally home, finally back to her past 

Not all of us are so lucky. Forgive me. Forgive me a thousand times even though I do not deserve it.

                                     Livia Lannister

°•°•°•°•°

"Lyanna Stark is dead. Robert, she is gone."

Robert looked up, still in a drunken stupor. "I know that. I read the same message as you did."

Jon Arryn gave him a disapproving look. "Kings do not have the time to grieve." 

"I never wanted the Seven Kingdoms or the bloody Iron Throne. But now, it is mine and I don't know what to do." Robert said, taking another swig of wine.

The Hand of the king could not help but see the king as a son he never had. Robert had grown up in Jon's care and in all those times, Jon had never seen him so forlorn, so lost. 

"You know what you must do." Jon said, sitting down on the chair opposite the King.

"And what is that?" Robert asked, the Dornish red wetting his lips.

Taking a deep breath, Jon answered."All kings must marry. To provide heirs, to rule with a queen."

Bitter laughter echoed throughout the chamber as Robert roared with amusement. "Way to make marriage sound so agreeable with me."

"I know you never wanted to mar-" Jon started.

"I wanted to marry Lyan-" Robert protested.