4

Regal stood outside the shop and watched as two ten seater vans pulled up outside of Hidden Treasures and Happy Tea. He looked on as Harper stood at the door holding her arms out, as the girls piled out of the vans and raced over to hug her and Hainsley.

"All right, I need everyone six and younger to come with me for story time, seven and older and with Ms. Hainsley," Harper announced. She looked up and caught his eye sucking in a breath, she lost her ability to talk for a moment. He nodded, and she gave him a jerky nod in return. Then a small child, if he had to guess no older than two tugged on Harper's hand and demanded to be picked up. He watched his mate's eyes soften as she scooped up the little girl and snuggled her. She then led the way into the shop with the other little girls asking a ton of questions. He could just imagine her holding a little girl with dark hair like his and blue-gray eyes like hers.

"What book are we reading today? Did you get more books for us to take home? Are we going to make a craft today?"

"All in due time, little ones. Now come sit around me and help me find our story book for the day." Harper pulled a note out of her pocket and Regal stepped into the store in time to hear her say,

"I am hidden away where you can find many yummy things to eat. Where am I?"

"Is our book in Ms. Hainsley's shop?" a small redhead asked, looking hopeful at the tea shop.

"No, but keep thinking."

"Is it in your office?" another girl guessed, she had golden blond curls.

"No, but a good guess."

"I know!" yelled a bouncy brunette.

"Yes, Ruby?"

"It is with your cook books!" the girl announced. Looking so proud of herself, pointing to the easy to see cookbooks and a thin picture book out of place on the shelf.

"Smart as always, why don't you go get it today?" Harper encouraged Ruby. Regal realized she hadn't released the little girl who'd demanded she be picked up. She perched on Harper's hip sucking on her thumb.

"We are reading a book about goats?" Ruby asked, bringing over the book, Regal was able to catch the title as the little girl handed it to Harper.

"The Three Billy Goats Fluff," Harper announced, she settled on the floor with a pillow propped behind her. The little girls crowded around her as she began to read. Regal settled in one of the comfortable chairs Harper had around her store to encourage people to sit and read. He enjoyed watching her lose her shyness around a group of small children, she had a soothing voice which captured the attention of her young audience. He could picture her reading to their own cubs at night and once they were asleep, he would whisk her away to their bedroom and make love to her until she couldn't walk.

Shaking his head, he drove away the day dream. He had to convince the shy little vixen to join him on a date before he could give her a family. He had seen the longing in her eyes when she'd picked up the little girl. What she didn't know was many of the children at The Lily House resulted from unmated pairings, once the female found out she was pregnant with a baby who wasn't her mate's she gave them up. He'd been one such a child, although he'd been lucky enough to be adopted by the Alpha of the black panthers in Black Wood Falls. His mate could not bear him children when a hunter shot her while she was in shifted form. She survived as shifters were excellent healers; it had affected her ability to reproduce; none of the doctors could figure out why. That was when they heard of a female panther giving up a boy because he was not her true mate's cub.

He was grateful for his parents and their never ending love, even if he wasn't theirs biologically. Being a panther he enjoyed being alone and did not have many he would consider his close friends. He enjoyed being around the other alphas in Black Wood Falls and considered them his friends should he need help with anything.