5

Harper stood in the backroom of her store, they'd closed an hour early so Hainsley, Julie and her youngest sister Heather could help her get ready.

"I cannot believe you are going on a date with a shifter!" Heather exclaimed, helping Harper with her makeup. Harper liked to keep her makeup casual and did not know how to do a night time date look.

"Believe it," Harper muttered, it had been the tenth time one of them had said they couldn't believe she was going on a date.

"How did he convince you?" Hainsley asked.

"He said he was picking me up at closing time and I didn't say no, either time he told me."

"Are you going to be all right?" Julie wanted to know, Harper cocked her head to the side and thought about it.

"I'm not sure, when I first met him, he scared the crap out of me. He noticed and came over to kneel at my feet and rub my wrists on the pulse point until I was calm. He took the time to help me past my inability to speak up. I feel calm around him, something about him speaks to my heart," Harper tried to explain, and Julie wrapped her up in a hug.

"I think you might just be his mate Harper. If you find a man who you can be around and your heart wants him, you keep him," Julie explained, she knelt in front of Harper and gave her hands a gentle squeeze.

"I am not getting married to him. I am only going on one date. He is just going to leave me after the first twenty minutes, anyway. That is how all dates turn out," Harper argued, her sisters and Julie all shared a horrified look.

"Shifters are not like that Harper. When they ask someone out and pursue them, they know you are their mate. Please don't give up before you've even gone out with Regal," Hainsley said, coming around to stand with the other two and looked at her.

"You look amazing!" Heather announced. Harper stood and looked at herself in the full length mirror Heather had brought over. She was wearing a royal blue dress with an empire waistline, it flowed over her curves perfectly and stopped at her knee. Her shoulder length hair had been curled gently to frame her face, and she sported what Heather promised was a smokey eye.

"You look wonderful," Regal's voice sounded from the doorway, Harper looked up and her heart almost stopped. He was wearing dark wash jeans, a hunter green, button-up shirt with the top button undone and dark shoes. His hair had been gelled back on the top and the sides of his head had been shaved. The green in his shirt brought out the gold in his hazel eyes. She watched as his started at her pink heels and made his way up to the top of her head. She could tell he liked what he saw when his eyes caught hers and the desire she saw was palpable.

"You are early," she whispered, unable to hold the eye contact and looked down at his black dress shoes.

"I couldn't wait, are you ready?" Regal walked over and offered her his hand, she nodded and took his hand.

"Don't forget your coat." Hainsley held out her light pink wool peacoat, Harper smiled and watched as Regal took it and helped her into the coat. She had to take a steadying breath when his hands brushed her neck as he straightened the collar. Her sisters and Julie gave her huge smiles and silent cheers behind Regal's back. She shook her head and gave them a half smirk as Regal finished the buttons on her coat.

"Warm enough?" Regal asked, and she nodded. She still struggled to find her voice, this time out of pure desire for him and not fear.

"Yes," she whispered, and he took her hand leading her out of the shop and to a waiting sleek black SUV. He helped her step up into the passenger side and waited for her to buckle in before he walked around to the driver's side. Harper looked out the window and saw her sisters and Julie wave her off and mouth good luck. She smiled and turned to watch Regal strap in and turn the car on. Immediately the seat beneath her began to warm, and she sighed, December was freezing in Black Wood Falls and her old beat up Honda took forever to heat.

"Where are we going?" she asked once he pulled back onto Main Street and headed the opposite direction of all the nice restaurants in the area.

"I have a friend who owns a place one town over in Pine Valley," Regal replied, flicking his attention from the road to her for a split second.

"What type of cuisine does he serve?" she asked pulling off her gloves and unwrapping her scarf as she warmed up. She looked over and took the time to appreciate his appearance. His nose was straight and just the right size for his face, his eyes were deep set under strong brows, and he had a sharp chin. His body was muscular but there was a sleekness to his build, as if skulking around in the night was a skill he excelled at.

"He does contemporary American, with a touch of the southwest influence. I hope that is okay with you?" Regal looked over at her with a hint of worry in his eyes.

"I will try anything once," Harper replied, she'd always been more adventurous with her food choices than her sisters.

"That is impressive, any food allergies I should know about?" he asked with a soft smile.

"None, I'm not a huge seafood person but I will try just about anything as long as it sound appetizing." She smiled back at him and found, she felt even more comfortable with him than she had at her story hour. It had shocked her to find out he spent time at the orphanage, and he was an alpha! She knew he wouldn't be able to be with her long term, because all alphas needed a shifter like them to make their pair powerful enough to handle a pack. Once he had left, she did a little research on her date and found he was an alpha but not what animal he shifted into. Her contact only knew he was an alpha and a powerful voice in the shifter community of Black Wood Falls.

"So no seafood, I think we can find something you'll enjoy. I cannot say seafood is something I am passionate about either. I prefer a good steak to a piece of fish any day," Regal replied, and Harper giggled at his comment.

"So, what type of shifter are you?" she asked, watching him to gauge his reaction to her question, she remembered George telling her most shifters wouldn't reveal themselves unless to a mate.

"Panther," Regal answered, looking over at her and she relaxed to see he hadn't been upset by her question.

"Panthers are beautiful, I used to love reading National Geographic as a child and found the big cats the most fascinating of animals," Harper shared. She'd told no one her love of National Geographic, not after sixth grade when Missy Gastrone found her stack and ridiculed her for months on end.

"Glad to hear my animal doesn't scare you," Regal chuckled, and she blushedof course he would find her funny. No one in their right mind would share that on a first date. Great going Harper, now he thinks you are a weirdo. He pulled into an empty parking lot in front of a large standalone restaurant. Harper looked around and asked,

"Is it closed?"

"No, I reserved it for the night," he replied, stepping out of the car. Harper could only stare at him in shock, as he came around to her door and opened it. He offered her his hand to help her out and she let him pull her until her seatbelt held her back. Blushing, she undid the buckle and offered him her hand again. He said nothing, but she could tell he was trying to hold back his laughter. She didn't know how much more she could take, twice now she had embarrassed herself.

"Why did you reserve it?" She wanted to get the conversation back on track and hoped he would forget the seatbelt incident.

"I didn't want you to feel overwhelmed by the crowds, his restaurant is always packed, but since it is a weeknight, he let me reserve it for the night." He took her hand tucking it into the pocket of his black wool coat, she'd forgotten to put her gloves back on.

"That was very thoughtful of you." Harper smiled up at him and he smiled back. For a moment Harper thought he might bend down and kiss her, but a huge man opening the door and calling out interrupted them,

"Yo, Regal! You coming in with your lady friend or are you just going to freeze out here?"

"We are coming Arthur," Regal replied, he rolled his eyes and Harper laughed. She could tell the two were good friends and Regal was used to being razzed by Arthur.

First date! Let me know if you are enjoying the book! Vote!