48

The following morning Harper and Regal went down to the police station to relay everything that had been happening to them ever since Harper had inherited George's book collection.

"Why did you not bring this to my attention earlier?" Chief Humphrey asked, rubbing a hand down his exhausted face.

"It was something we shifters needed to handle. As soon as John broke into the house we phoned the police," Regal explained as if the chief of police should have known it was the obvious answer. Chief Humphrey shook his head and continued to type what Regal told him.

"And we have a record of your apartment being broken into?" he asked, looking at Harper this time. She nodded.

"Sheriff Kellard came by my apartment." Chief Humphrey rolled his eyes.

"I wish the sheriff's office would talk to us." He pulled up a file on his computer and nodded as he read the file.

"I see and there was a knife left in the bed?"

"Yes, sir."

"Okay. We have your statement, if we need you for anything else we will contact you." He dismissed them. Regal took her hand and walked her out of the police station.

"That took longer than expected. Want to get lunch?" Regal asked her. She nodded as her stomach had growled an hour ago.

"Where should we go?"

"I want baked ziti," she announced, making him laugh.

"Tuscano's it is." Regal helped her into the car and drove them over to the restaurant. The drive was quiet as they both slipped into their own thoughts.

"Our wedding is in two weeks," Harper blurted out. She hadn't thought about the wedding at all since they came home from the convention.

"I know. You said you had a dress fitting this week," he replied, reaching over to squeeze her hand.

"I completely forgot about it with everything going on with John and Joseph King. What are we going to do about Joseph King?" she asked this time, her eyes widening in fear.

"I sent a message to him. He wants to look at the book before we hand it to the museum. He agrees it should be placed behind glass and preserved. I was going to tell you, but John broke into our house last night." Harper narrowed her eyes at him.

"How did that come about? We only just got home," she asked, stepping out of the car into the frigid January air.

"I sent him an email offering a chance at peace. Anders discovered he was only working with John to get a look at the book."

"Hmm. That man always was a weird one. It might be good to have him as an ally though," she mused, taking his hand. Regal kissed her temple before opening the restaurant door for her. Warm air met her cold face, Harper took a deep breath smelling pasta sauce.

"Table for two?" the hostess asked.

"Yes," Harper answered, eager to get to their table and bite into the garlic bread offered. Regal chuckled behind her, knowing what she was thinking.

"Not funny," she murmured, making him laugh out loud. Settling across from her in the booth, he handed her a menu.

"Thanks."

"Your server will be over in a moment," the hostess told them and walked away.

"Are you okay?" Regal asked her and Harper shrugged. She still worried about people breaking into her house with George's massive book collection.

"I loved George, but I wondered what he was thinking, giving me all those books. There are so many titles that I can't count the number of people who would kill to get their hands on one of them. John was just one. What if others try what he did?" she asked, Regal gave her a thoughtful look and chewed his bottom lip, thinking.

"What if and hear me out before you say no, we ask Joseph King to help?" Harper sat back in her seat, staring at Regal. Where was his line of thinking going?

"How would that help?"

"Well, you are the one he goes to for help to search for rare books. What if you asked him to hint around that he was your protector?"

"Won't he want something from us in return?" She knew mobsters. They didn't do anything for nothing.

"That is where you come in. You help him find books without the finders' fee. You're well known among book enthusiasts, there are plenty who will pay for your services," he explained and she bobbed her head back and forth thinking.

"I suppose it is worth a chance. I don't want to be involved with him in anything illegal," she finally answered after thinking over all the pros and cons.

"Excellent. We can talk to him about it later when he comes to look at the book, then we hand it over to the museum. He is meeting us there," Regal replied.

"What can I get you two?" A server with the name of Tyler asked.

"I'll get water and the baked ziti. We'd also like a basket of your garlic rolls," Harper replied, Tyler nodded and looked at Regal.

"I'll take a coke and your classic trio plate." Tyler nodded and walked away to put their order in.

"Mom called me this morning wondering where Heather and Hainsley were," Harper remarked, turning their conversation to something lighter.

"Oh?"

"Yep. I told her they were at our house."

"Any mention of Anders or Hunter?"

"None. Though all four of them looked a little tired this morning, don't you think?" she asked with a smirk.

"I agree. We might have two weddings to attend coming soon."

"I think Hainsley and Hunter will be first because they don't have the added complication of boss and employee to deal with like Anders and Heather."

"I agree."

"Of course you agree with me," she replied with a laugh. Regal reached across the table and took her hand in his.

"Thank you for saying yes to being my mate and my bride."

"What brought on that?"

"You were hesitant at first, but I at least got a date with you. Hunter told me he's asked Hainsley four times, and she has said no every time."

"That is because Hainsley is the slowest moving of my sisters. I know my shyness kept me from being with a man, but Hainsley is extremely picky. She won't go with Hunter because she suspects she isn't the only woman in his life," Harper explained, reaching for the garlic rolls as Tyler placed them on their table.

"You're kidding?" Regal stared at her with a shocked expression on his face. Harper nodded with a smirk dancing across her lips.

"Is Hunter popular with the ladies?"

"He used to be. He hasn't had a date since meeting Hainsley," he answered.

"Good. I'll tell Hainsley and maybe she will give the poor man some slack."

"I hope so. I'm sick of hearing him pine away for her," Regal replied with a chuckle. This made Harper laugh. She could see Hunter complaining to Regal about his love life regularly. They fell into conversation about the wedding as their meals came out. Harper practically inhaled her meal after eating three rolls. Regal even shared part of his with her before they ordered dessert. 

One more chapter and the epilogue left!