47

Regal couldn't believe how stupid this person was being. They were trying to break into a house with three powerful alpha shifters. Hunter, Anders, and Regal stayed out of sight. They wanted to see how many they were dealing with before revealing their positions. Regal waited closest behind the kitchen counter. Hunter and Anders were in the living room watching the front door. He watched John Heart swing open their back door silently. He stood tall, but nearly as tall as Regal. Sitting downwind, Regal knew John wouldn't smell him. Behind him stood two other wolf shifters.

"John we will be in so much trouble if Regal finds us. He is an alpha," a gruff voice complained.

"Shut up, Rich. He is a dumb panther, we are wolves," John growled, Regal frowned.

"Why are we here?" a third voice whined.

"We are here to get that book before they give it to the museum. My sources say they are giving it tomorrow," John replied in a hushed voice.

"Why do you want it?"

"Because it is worth millions of dollars. It is the one where Gerad Berlin wrote his final thoughts in the back," John explained, Regal heard the irritation in his voice.

"I'll give you two choices John," Regal announced standing from his spot in the kitchen flicking on the light to make the three wolf shifters squint.

"What the? You weren't supposed to be here," John growled, holding a hand up to block the light.

"Get out and I'll forget you broke into my home or I call the police," Regal offered as choices, keeping his body language relaxed.

"Bullshit! You won't call the police in an issue between two shifters. I have proof that the book belongs to me," John argued, finally able to see again.

"It does not, because in the will the book is listed as Harper's."

"A will that was redone after George met Harper. She tricked him into leaving her the books." Regal watched John start to lose control to his wolf.

"Are you doing this for you or for Joseph King? We had a run-in with his men in Orlando." Regal wanted to get as much information from the man in case he decided to attack.

"No! Joseph works for me. His mother and mine are friends," John answered a look of pure glee in his eyes. Regal saw he liked saying he was in charge of the mobster.

"I don't think he would like to hear you say that. I have reached out to him to broker a deal since the book is being placed in a museum," Regal shared, he hadn't told Harper yet but he'd offered Joseph the chance to look at the book before it was placed behind glass for good. He'd received an email from the man saying he would like to see the book. He only wanted to see if the rumors were true about the book. He was happy to see it be given to a museum instead of in the hands of John Heart. Amazing how a mobster was easier to reason with than a crazed wolf shifter.

"You are angry because George specifically wrote in his will that you would get nothing from his collection. I did some digging into your background. Turns out you are broke John," Regal explained watching the two wolf shifters behind him raise their eyebrows.

"If you two gentlemen thought you were getting paid, think again. John has no money and is being investigated for several fraudulent charges," Regal added. Both wolf shifters turned and walked away from John without a word. They were only helping him for the money.

"You jumped up, stupid panther! You know nothing!" John growled fur sprouting along his arms.

"Don't be dumb John. If you attack me no one is going to save you," Regal remarked hoping the man would think twice before attacking him. Regal's panther was twice the size of a wolf shifter, especially someone so low on the totem pole.