19

"His book collection," she shared.

"Not just his book collection, he also bought her a house to store it all in and left her a million dollars to help with her charity work. She hosts a story hour at her store Hidden Treasures for The Lily House girls once a month, along with her sister Hainsley. Hainsley owns the coffee and tea shop next door," Regal explained, hugging her tight to his side.

"George owned some very rare books, how did John Heart react? He is known for being George's rival in searching for rare tomes," Anders inquired in a soft but deep voice. Harper cocked her head and looked him over. This was the man building a new hotel in town, her sister Heather would be working for him for the next several months designing the hotel rooms.

"He was angry," she answered, gripping Regal's hand hard, she wanted to be a part of this conversation but needed him to give her strength.

"Livid, he was seething when McAvoy announced she would get the collection, he sighted George not wanting his books sold off. No one knows where the books are being kept at the moment aside from Harper, McAvoy and myself, I think Harper will be tailed and at some point the cabin will no longer be a haven. We need to find the persons responsible for attacking Harper and take care of the threat. I will allow no one man or shifter to hurt my mate," Regal announced, his eyes flashed bright gold as he clenched his jaw.

"Easy killer, no one will hurt your mate. Did you smell anything?" Hunter asked. He seemed laid back, but Harper could tell he was listening to everything being said and analyzing it all.

"Smell?" Harper asked.

"Everyone has a distinct smell, be it human or shifter. Who ever trashed your apartment left behind a scent, all shifters have an amazing sense of smell," Max explained.

"Just wolves, same as I smelled at her car. Nothing distinctive as if the culprit wants us to think it is the wolves but really someone else." Regal shook his head.

"Do you know if anything was taken? Do you keep your rare books at your house? Do you have any rare books?" Anders asked, giving her a once over. Harper decided she didn't care too much for his attitude but would put up with it for Regal.

"Yes, but I keep them in a safe location along with my grandfather's collection," Harper replied, she glared at him and used her normal volume. Regal looked at her in surprise and then shot Anders a warning look.

"How many books do you own, woman?" Anders inquired, crossing his arms over his chest and giving her a blank look.

"With George and my grandfather's collections I think close to four thousand and that doesn't include the books I sell in my store because I don't count them as mine."

"Oh crap! Anyone could be after your books if they know you have your grandfather's collection too. I am guessing he was also a collector of books?" Hunter asked, he was giving her an impressed look.

"It is possible, I know when I was first given his collection five years back collectors hounded me. I just let them know I would not be breaking apart his collection because it held sentimental value. Most of them backed off and I've been able to protect his legacy." She was feeling more comfortable talking, thanks to Anders being rude. She wondered if that was his way of making her come out of her shell, by putting her on the defense.

"Which collectors still bother you?" Regal asked, she smiled up at him and shook her head.

"No one I would peg as a danger to myself. You've got to remember most bibliophiles refuse to leave the comfort of their own home. They prefer to send someone like me to chase down their prey and then gloat to their fellow collectors over their most prized possessions. The only time I see many of these collectors is at the quarterly meeting for collectors. They are held all over the United States, you should see how pale some of these people are because of their lack of sunlight." Harper laughed as she thought about some of her clients and then stopped as soon as she caught Max's eye. He was giving her a smirk and nodded to Regal.

"I see she has warmed up to us."

"That she has, that was quick. You wouldn't talk to Arthur at all yesterday." Regal kissed her temple and rubbed her back to show his affection. Hunter lifted an eyebrow and nodded.

"You will do well here Little Mouse."

"Little Mouse?" she asked, scrunching her nose up at the nickname.

"Yes, you are quiet like a mouse," Hunter laughed.

"Have you ever heard mice? They are not quiet," Harper pointed out, giving him an unamused look.

"Ooh maybe kitten is better, you're cute but have claws."

"Enough with giving my mate a nickname. We need to form a plan on how to figure out who is going after Harper." Regal brought the conversation back on track and the others sobered.

"We need a list of all the collectors who contacted you, and when your next meeting for collectors is scheduled?" Anders took charge, Harper could tell he was used to people doing what he wanted, but he had a smile in his eye for his friends.

"I can give you a list of my clients, and the next meeting is the second week of January. It is actually our big annual convention where companies can have booths and make new connections. I am set to have a booth with some of my more sought after items," Harper explained.

"Anything in that collection worth attacking you for?" Max asked, he sipped his water and leveled her with his brown eyes.

Please vote!