27

"How?" she asked, turning to look at him in awe.

"I slipped in today after my meeting with Alpha Jace and set up the bedroom. I wanted us to be close by because, this weekend I want to take you to our holiday market the shifter groups put on together. I need you to see my people, as their alpha I help keep my clan together. If you will I'm like the sheriff and am the go between, between the panther shifters and humans. If you agree to be my mate you will also be a part of the clan and be expected as the lead female to help. It won't interfere with your work at the book shop, now that shifters are out in the open the alpha and his mate are purely to help guide and can live their own lives." Harper froze, she was going to have to be the head female of his clan? She would have to help solve problems? She could barely speak to the other alphas when she first met them. How could she possibly be his mate?

"Regal, you know about my shyness, there is no way I can be a leader. I froze around your friend Arthur. The alphas were hard to talk to and you expect me to be able to talk to your entire clan? No, not going to happen. You are going to have to find another mate." Harper shook her head hard, panic making it hard for her to breathe.

"Harper sweetheart, breathe. Come on, breathe for me." Regal patted her on the back. He had no idea his words would bring on a panic attack. He understood her shyness, black panthers were notorious for their solitude and didn't like to be in large groups. The only time his whole clan came together was for the holiday market and an alpha's wedding.

"Baby, please calm down, you really won't have to speak to large groups of people," Regal tried to reassure her. When she had said to find another mate, he'd felt as if she'd punched him in the gut.

"I can't be the mate you need Regal. I am not a leader," Harper whispered, taking deep calming breaths counting to ten.

"Sweetie, you perfect for me. My parents love you and we can explain about your shyness and how having more than one person crowd around you makes you nervous. Black panthers understand the need for space, we are very solitary creatures by nature. I promise you are meant to be my mate." Regal tried to convey in words how much she meant to him and he needed her in his life.

"How do you know?" she asked, looking up at him, her breathing finally completely under control.

"Because my panther picked you, I cannot live without you. Please don't ever say you cannot be my mate. I love you more than anything and would gladly give up my position as alpha if you asked me to do so." He held her hands in his and placed a kiss on the knuckles of each.

"What if your people hate me? I was bullied badly in school because of my shyness and I don't want that to happen again, but this time in pretend politeness." Harper shook her head, his blood ran cold at the idea his people would be anything but nice to her.

"Shifters aren't like that, they are very up front with their feelings. It is the animal part of us, we don't have time for human games," Regal explained and bent over to capture her lips in a deep kiss. He pushed her onto the bed and reveled in the feel of her soft curves against him. He nipped at her neck and sucked gently leaving a mark behind.

"I love you Harper Talbot, mate me," he whispered into her ear, sucking gently on the lobe before kissing the sensitive spot just behind her ear.

"I don't want to keep second guessing myself, yes." Harper nodded and his desire for her dove into overdrive. He stripped her quickly of her clothes, her hands doing the same to him. Once completely naked he crawled on top of her and kissed her again.

"How we mate, is I take you from behind and bite your shoulder and leave my mark on your hip. This leaves my mark and my scent on you."

"Will it hurt?"

"I'm told it is quite the pleasurable experience." Regal smiled and saw her eyes light up with curiosity.

"I love you Regal, make me yours." Her words sent his panther into pushing him for control. He had to bite down to fight his panther from coming out and taking her animal style. He took her mouth in his, plunging his tongue into the deepest recesses of her mouth, his hands sliding down to grip her thighs. 

Don't forget to vote!