Chapter 18

"Please tell me you're joking..." Chloe pleaded when she saw where Buddy was leading the group. A familiar apartment building stretched before them. With it came very bad memories for the obese tabby cat. Climbing up some various objects up to a fire escape, Buddy called down to the group, "Chloe, sorry but I'm not joking. I'm positive that he can help us." Without another word, he dropped the ladder down. Once everyone climbed up, they entered the apartment.

As usual, there was music playing in the background as a party went on inside the apartment filled with animals of all kinds that were either playing games, eating food, dancing or talking. At the moment, the song was Mambo Number 5 by Lou Bega and it played for a while until Leonard, who of course would be at a party like this, reached over and changed it to what he thought would be his favorite kind of music, heavy metal. However, he was greeted by a Christmas song, this one an instrumental version of Jingle Bells, that was playing at the wrong time of year. The poodle, his curly fur sticking up in shock, quickly changed it back to the song that had been playing before as all eyes turned towards him. Embarrassed, he fled to another section of the apartment while the party resumed.

"That was awkward," Mel whispered to Sweetpea, who chirped in agreement.

"Hu!" a few voices cried out. A moment later, three young dogs rushed over to the white tiger, who wagged his tail in happiness and purred. The trio, consisting of a basset hound, an English bulldog and a gray poodle, crowded around him, their tails wagging as well. Chuckling softly, Buddy asked, "Hey guys, have you seen Pops anywhere?" Tiny the young basset hound was about to open his mouth and answer when a nearby female cocker spaniel noticed Hu. She looked at him in horror, her brown eyes growing wide. Meowing, Hu waved at her with a smile on his face.

"TIGER!" the cocker spaniel howled fearfully before diving for the open window nearby the snack table. The music abruptly stopped as animals ran left and right, fleeing the apartment. "That's one way to crash a party," Norman squeaked thoughtfully, patting Hu's paw gently. It wasn't long until the entire apartment was empty, minus the group, the three pups, a cat who was sound asleep on the back of the couch and a very familiar elderly basset hound in a wheelchair with a hamster holding a newspaper beside him.

Looking dead tired, Pops grumbled, "What in the world is going on around here?"