Chapter 67

Perfect indeed. Life is good. And I'm not just saying this for the heck of it!

Max, Duke and Rooster are out on a walk with Liam, Katie and Chuck. Smiling happily, there was a spring in the Jack Russell terrier's step.

When I say life is good, I mean it is good. For everyone. I'm not the exception. Everyone has been enjoying life so far.

At that moment, the three dogs and three humans rounded a corner. Looking to his right, Max saw Sergei. The evil circus owner was performing a little magic show of his own. He attempted to take a little girl's teddy bear for a trick. Not wanting to part with her toy, she wailed. Her dog, a tiny chihuahua, bared its teeth and lunged forward, chomping down on his leg. Sergei howled in pain.

Well... maybe not that guy. Everyone else though, they're having the time of their lives.

Down in the sewers, the Flushed Pets and the circus animals were either playing or spectating a fierce game of volleyball. The elephant often spiked the ball into the other team's boundaries. The game only ended when Leo accidentally popped the ball.

They're enjoying themselves with every passing second of each day.

Seeing that he had finally defeated Buddy in their video game Dance Wars, Mel howled in victory. Norman shot a confetti cannon while Sweetpea whistled. Duke patted the pug on the back, congratulating him, while Tina tipped her head back and roared.

May it be with their roommates...

Pops and Tiny are playing a game of chess. The elder becomes shocked when the younger dog beats him.

With their friends...

His wing in a proper cast and looking much healthier than before, Tiberius squeaked with delight as a ball of yarn rolled past him. Watching her best friend chase after it, Gidget laughed happily.

With the love of their life...

Hu and Laohu were nuzzling each other, purrs rumbling deep in their throats.

With their league of superheroes...

"Never fear, we are here!" Snowball and Daisy declared, standing on the rooftop of the apartment building. The wind played with their golden capes as they stared off into the distance dramatically.

Or with their food.

"I think I'm in heaven..." Chloe mumbled, opening the fridge door to find a beautiful cake. The gray tabby cat plopped her face into it without warning.

As for me, I'm doing okay.

Liam skipped along the sidewalk, giggling happily all the way. It made his parents and all three dogs smile. Looking up at Rooster, Max held his head high. He had taken to wearing his souvenir bandana everywhere every day. Gazing down at the Jack Russell terrier, the Welsh sheepdog dipped his head to him and winked. Grinning, Max winked back before looking at Liam.

And I'll remain that way as long as the ones closest to me, the ones who hold a special place in my heart, are okay. If anything tries to break us, we'll just come back stronger. We stand up for each other. That's what friends and family are supposed to do. And that's what I will do.

The scene begins to fade to black.

Woah woah woah, wait what?! It's the end?!

Uh, yeah Duke. It's the end.

But it can't be!

What do you mean?

Max, did you forget something?

Oh my god, yeah! Alright, here we go...