Chapter 40

Peering around the corner of a building, Tiberius surveyed the area. Seeing that the coast was clear and his intended target was right for the taking, he whispered, "Follow me." Sneaking past the door of a doughnut shop, he led Gidget over to a police car. Since some officer had left the door open while they went to place a ticket on a van while their partner was getting coffee and doughnuts, the two animals snuck inside. Shutting the car door, Gidget asked, "Have you ever done this before?"

"Please. I've been doing this before you were even born," Tiberius answered, adding, "Now stand back and watch the master." Turning the keys, the pair were welcomed by the sound of the engine revving up. Looking up from writing a ticket, the police officer shouted and came over. Gidget quickly rolled up the windows and locked the doors. Watching as the officer stared at them in awe, she apologized, "Sorry, we need your car!" Grabbing a hold of the wheel, Tiberius piped up, "Hey Gidget, how bout you find something to put on the gas pedal and put this thing in forwards?"

Nodding her head, Gidget grabbed an atlas and dropped it down on the gas pedal. She then grabbed the gearshift, putting it into forwards. However, the police car started going backwards, crashing into a truck. "GIDGET!" Tiberius hissed, looking over at her. Gidget was already trying to put the car into forwards, pushing all of her weight against the gearshift. It moved into forwards while she fell and accidentally hit two buttons. The siren and lights went off while the radio blasted Can't Hold Us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton. Tires screeching, the police car raced off down the street while a flock of police officers tore out of the doughnut shop.

"Maybe you should slow down a bit!" Gidget yipped, gripping the dashboard to the best of her ability. Taking a sharp left while just avoiding a car, Tiberius turned to her and exclaimed, "Relax, I've done this before. Ain't no need to worry." While he had been looking down at her and not at the road, the police car went onto the sidewalk and crashed right through the outdoor eating area of a café. A tablecloth covered the windshield. Seeing that, Gidget turned on the windshield wipers.

Hearing sirens that wasn't coming from their car, Tiberius glanced at the rearview mirror. "Uh oh..." he muttered. Whipping her head around as she managed to get on the dashboard beside a Minion in a hula skirt, Gidget cried, "Uh oh what?!" Looking out the back window, her eyes widened when she saw four other police cars chasing them down. "We're going to dog jail!" she wailed, the image of a cage looming before her painted in her mind. Keeping his eyes on the road while swerving around an old lady, Tiberius replied, "Nah, I'll get sent to the zoo. Is this thing in two wheel drive or four wheel?" Checking, Gidget answered, "Four."

"Turn it to two," Tiberius replied. Kicking the gearshift into place, Gidget almost fell off the dashboard while the old hawk clung to the steering wheel after taking a sharp right turn and running a red light. Hitting a curb, the police car sailed over a hill before touching down on the pavement again. What followed next was a series of left and right turns as Tiberius attempted to get rid of their pursuers. Gidget struggled to keep from falling over again and again. Stealing a glance behind them, she saw that they had lost all but one cop. Looking back forward, she cried, "Look out!" In front of them was the East River and they were fast approaching it. Having already seen it, the old red tailed hawk on the steering wheel turned left and cried out, "Hang on!" The car veered left, only one wheel hovering above the water before getting back on the road. The police car behind them wasn't so lucky as it flew through the air and crashed into the water.

Streaking across the Brooklyn Bridge way over the speed limit, Gidget and Tiberius howled and screeched in victory while the skyscrapers of Manhattan loomed over them.