Chapter 62

The sun had gone down over the city that never sleeps. The buildings, skyscrapers and apartment complexes alike, were lit up. Of course, their lights were no match for the brilliant Times Square. In the nearby Central Park, street lamps provided enough light for those who were taking a night stroll along the paths in the dark. Surrounded by water on all sides while she stood proudly upon her pedestal, the Statue of Liberty's torch blazed brightly. The streets were filled with people and vehicles. It was loud and bustling. On one street though, all was quiet.

There were five people waiting at a public bus stop on that street. An old lady was digging through her purse for her glasses. Finding them, she put them on and smiled. A mother and her son were playing a spying game. Leaning back against the bus stop sign, a teenage boy was scrolling through the various songs he had on his MP3 player. A middle aged man stood nearby, talking on the phone with his wife. "Don't worry honey, I'll be home soon. The bus is just late tonight.," he spoke to her. At that moment, all five people heard the bus coming. They all looked to their left.

A city bus loaded with animals zoomed by, sending a huge gust of wind. There was a small child in one window. Waving to them, he cried, "Hi there!" The bus continued on its merry way, music blasting and dogs howling. A moment later, an elephant marched by, following it. Two dogs, a dachshund and a pug, rode on its back. Watching as the parade rounded a corner while a taxi cab screeched to a halt to avoid a collision with the elephant, the five people who had been waiting for a bus looked at each other. Clearing his throat, the middle aged man spoke again to his wife, his voice cracking, "Honey, you will not believe what I just saw..."

"Mommy, can we go ride that bus?" the little boy asked, tugging on his mother's coat sleeve to get her attention. Looking down at her young son, the woman scooped him up in her arms and held him close, running her hand through his hair.