Chapter 44

"Hey Gidget, you wanna get the brakes? We're nearing the apartment," Tiberius informed the fluffy white Pomeranian after taking a sharp right. The police car was on two wheels for the briefest time before crashing back down on all fours. Hopping down from the dashboard while trying to keep her balance, Gidget got down to the floor and slammed her paws down on the brake pedal. However, it appeared that nothing happened. Trying again several times, Gidget's heart plummeted with terror. "The brakes aren't working!" she cried as she climbed back up on the dashboard. Taking his eyes off the road to look at her, Tiberius remarked, "Well, I guess we have to wait until something else stops this thing, like a-"

"FIRE HYDRANT!" Gidget howled, pointing at one they were approaching. Looking forward, Tiberius stated, "Huh, would you look at that."

Striking the fire hydrant head on and causing a fountain of water to shoot up into the air, the police car was airborne for a few seconds before careening into a nearby alley. Landing on its tires, it zoomed down. Seeing a wall up ahead, Gidget felt Tiberius grab her and the next thing she knew they had jumped out the window. Coming to a stop after rolling across the ground, she lifted her head and watched as the police car crashed against the brick wall, actually breaking a few of them. Before either her or Tiberius could get to their feet, the vehicle caught on fire as the engine exploded. Watching as the flames roared, the old hawk stated, "Not bad for my first time driving."

"I thought you said you've done that before," Gidget replied. Chuckling, Tiberius helped her up to her feet as he explained, "It's called a joke. And come on, I wasn't that bad." Outside the alley, one could see the damage done. Water spouted out from the ground where a fire hydrant should've been and a traffic light fell over. People were staying as far away from the road as possible while three cars collided into each other and a city bus was seen on its side.

Smiling quietly while remaining oblivious to the scene of destruction outside, Gidget murmured, "Yeah, not bad for a first timer." Wrapping her paws around him, she added, "Thank you for saving me." His eyes widening in surprise at her actions, Tiberius shook her off and muttered, "Come on, let's get out of here before someone sees us." Nodding her head, the fluffy white Pomeranian followed the old red tailed hawk around a left corner in the alleyway while people started taking pictures and videos of the destroyed cop car.

Padding alongside Tiberius, Gidget looked up. Seeing both hers and her neighbors' apartment buildings, she gasped happily and began bouncing up and down, yipping, "Oh my god! We made it! We're back home!" Her tail wagged a million miles per hour. Racing out of the darkness and into the light towards the building, the Pomeranian looked back at Tiberius. Still in the shadows, the old hawk was looking up at the apartment building he had called home for many years with a sad look in his light brown eyes. Taking a step back, he turned and headed back the way they came. Confused, Gidget raced after him. "Hey, where are you going? Home's this way," she pointed out. Stopping in his tracks, the hawk turned to face her as he mumbled, "No, your home's that way. Mine is back in Brooklyn."

"That's not... okay, that seems true," Gidget was about to protest but realized that it was the truth. She shook herself and continued, "But can't you stay awhile? We could all use your help in finding the tiger." The Pomeranian had sat down but her tail was still wagging as she went on, "I'm very sure everyone will be delighted to see you again. And I still need to properly introduce you to Max. Come on, it'll be fine!" She got up and took a hold of Tiberius's right wing, trying to lead him towards the light. However, the old hawk pulled his wing back as he murmured, "I'm not going back. I can't. Besides, we had a deal."

Crestfallen as she recalled the deal she had made back in Brooklyn, Gidget raised her head up as she replied, "There was nothing in the deal about not stopping for a brief visit. Please, just for a few minutes. You need this. For goodness sake, what about your owner? I bet you that they will be over the moon when they see you!" While she had been saying that, Tiberius stepped back. He couldn't meet her eyes and he was shaking a little. Getting ready to leave again, the hawk rasped, "I really need to get home before dark. Sorry but goodbye."

"What's wrong with you? Your owner must be worried sick about you. Come on, let's go-" Gidget was saying but was interrupted when Tiberius whirled around and, looking her in the eye, cried, "Gidget, I can't! My owner is gone!"