Chapter 22

Their noses hovering just centimeters above the ground as they patrolled the area, the wolves' ears perked up when they heard music playing in the background. The source was coming from a boombox that was set out on a wooden box. Then the four black wolves heard a voice call from way high up above their heads, "Lights please!" A second later, a spotlight turned on and moved upwards towards one of the platforms. Ready to walk across the tightrope, a fluffy white Pomeranian waved to the pack. Grinning, she called out to no one in particular, "Thank you!"

"Let's hope she knows what she's doing," Daisy whispered, fleeing from the spotlight she had turned on back to where Max and Snowball were hiding about two feet away from the boombox.

"I'm gonna die a very horrible death..." Gidget mumbled to herself as she gazed out across the tightrope with wide eyes. She had not thought this through entirely. Gulping, she took a tentative step out onto the taunt line before taking another and another. The Pomeranian could feel the wolves' eyes burning into her skin and bones. All the while, Mr. Saxobeat by Alexandra Stan played. Getting out in the middle of the tightrope, Gidget took a deep breath. Recalling what Max told her not too long ago, she quietly reassured herself, "I can do this." Wagging her fluffy tail to the music, she danced precariously on the tightrope. No longer on edge, the wolf pack watched her with wide eyes and wagging tails.

The wolves weren't the only ones enjoying Gidget's performance. Sneaking away unnoticed towards the cages nearby, Max happened to glance over his shoulder at the fluffy white Pomeranian. Watching her spin, flip and twirl on the tightrope, the terrier felt his heart flutter in his chest. He loved how she shined like star, her sky blue eyes glistening in the light. Sighing softly, he mumbled, "She's amazing..."

"Hey Tiny Dog, how bout we save a tiger before you start asking Gidget out on a date?" Snowball suggested, standing guard while Daisy was looking for some keys inside a toolbox in a nearby booth. The Shih Tzu came out, a ring of keys in her mouth. She mumbled through clenched teeth, "Let's go."