⚓️ THIRTEEN ~ GRATEFUL ⚓️

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good." Mal informed Evie and Maddy.

Busy sketching new outfits for Celia and Dizzy, Maddy had only been half interested in the conversation about protecting Auradon (which probably wasn't the best thing seeing as she was part of the measures to protect Auradon).
Slamming down her pencil, she spun round to face her sister with a look of absolute horror.

"But, you said no."

"The five of us are living the dream here. Now we get to share that with others. I mean, what could be more important than that?" Evie asked, eyes big with worry.

"Maybe security and peace of mind." Mal suggested, feeling ashamed of her suggestion after seeing the way her sister and best friend reacted.
She knew they would never be fully on board with the idea but she never expected them to be outraged.

"Were they seriously thinking nobody would ever go in or out of the Isle again?" Maddy demanded, short temper coming to the end of its tether.

"Would we never get to go back and see our parents again? What about the kids we just brought over? We promised they could go back and visit when they wanted to." Evie ranted.

"Yeah. I know."

"M, I'm so glad you're going to be Queen. You get to stand up for the VKs." Evie smiled, taking Mal's previous silence as an indication that Mal had vetoed the idea, not that she had been the one to come up with it.

"You'll make a great Queen." Maddy smiled before turning back to her drawings, anger dissipated.

Once again, Mal had betrayed her sister. She didn't think she'd ever be able to tell her the truth.

━━━━━━ ♡ ⚓︎ ♡ ━━━━━━

Mal's house was in chaos the next morning. And, it was all Carlos' fault. Jane's birthday was today and due to it being the first birthday they had spent together, Carlos wanted to ensure it went perfectly. Hence why he was running around in a panic.

"Do we have towels? Presents?" He fretted before bumping into Maddy. "Morning."

"Morning, for the fifth time. Carlos, you need to calm down. Everything is perfect and Jane will love it."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. Now, calm down." Maddy chuckled.

"Okay." He breathed deeply, and then went back to panicking. "Who got into Jane's cake?!"

Laughing at her friend, Maddy stuffed everything into her bag before ensuring she had Jane's present neatly wrapped. Tying a pink bow around the light blue wrapping paper, Maddy heard a commotion outside and noticed Audrey had had a major makeover.

"Is that my mom's sceptre?" She asked the group before turning to face Mal. "Ah! Oh."

"You might want to think of a spell for that." Carlos suggested.

Stood before them, Mal's hair was no longer a brilliant purple with soft, clear skin. Instead, she resembled Evie's mother when she had turned into an old hag to trick Snow White. Rushing over to give her sister a shoulder to lean on, Mal revealed that the only object that could undo the damage caused by Maleficent's sceptre was Hades' ember.

"He's not just going to hand it over."

"We don't even know where his lair is."

"I do." Celia pipes up, frosting on the side of her mouth. "I'm his errand rat. I've got the key at my dad's."

"You're coming." Old Mal said, disappointing Celia who had wanted to remain in Auradon and continue eating sweets.

After devising a makeshift plan, the VKs separated to get their stuff together, change out of their party outfits, and get their bikes. Carlos and Jay hurried off whilst Evie and Maddy attempted to help Mal walk just a little faster.

Poor Carlos, Maddy thought, he was going to miss Jane's birthday.

━━━━━━ ♡ ⚓︎ ♡ ━━━━━━

Coming to a stop in an alley near Facilier's place, Mal marvelled at her young skin, exclaiming in joy. "I'm me again!"

"Evil magic doesn't work here, Mal." Maddy reminded her sister. "Kinda the whole point of the Isle."

Watching Celia embrace with her father was heart warming. Maleficent had never been a caring mother and the twin's father had never been around so, seeing a villain praising their child and showing them affection was a nice sight. A rare sight.

Even now, Evie was looking over her shoulder as if her mother would burst out of the shadows and start being picky over her outfit. She would brush dust off her skirt, comb her fingers through her hair and straighten her tiara every two seconds. Jay's hands were getting twitchy as he looked at all the objects he could steal; things he would have stolen previously just to appease his father. Grabbing his hand in hers, she squeezed it gently and guided him over to Carlos. Smiling gratefully at the shorter girl, Jay was grateful to have her with him. She was used to being on the Isle far more than he was and she was his anchor at the moment.

"Look at this," said Carlos, pointing at the small, static TV screen.

"Alerts of a sleeping spell keep coming in as it spreads throughout Auradon. There are rumours that Sleeping Beauty's daughter, Audrey, is behind the spell. We're trying to discover who is responsible for these vicious lies, and which villain has perpetrated this evil-"

Before he was able to finish his news announcement, the spell hit the reporter and slumped to the floor snoring.

Celia shuffled across the dusty floor to the VKs and held up the key with a smirk gracing her dark features. Making their way out of Facilier's, the VKs heard the sound of the engines of their bikes and began sprinting to where they had left them. Sat atop the five bikes were Gil, Harry, and three other males that had once been in Uma's crew. Automatically, Jay and Carlos moved in front of Maddy, blocking her from view.

Inhaling sharply, Maddy couldn't help but staring at Harry Hook. His hair had grown out slightly, the eyeliner around his eyes was darker thus making his blue eyes brighter, and he was just as handsome as the last time she had seen him.

Gil had his usual goofy smile on his face. Her heart hurt at seeing them but then the anger set in. She had spent six months searching for them and now, here they were, trying to steal her bike.

"Long time nay see." Harry taunted, smirking at Jay.

Pushing past her 'bodyguards', Maddy faced Harry for the first time in six months. His smirk dropped, and he gulped upon seeing the look on her face. Her face was blank, void of emotion but her purple eyes were swirling with rage. Harry's cockiness faltered slightly.

"Get off the bikes." Jay demanded, biceps flexing in a threatening manner.

"Catch me if you can, Jay." Harry chuckled, zooming off after the others.

He didn't even look at Maddy.

"That was my bike! Ugh, he is in so much trouble!" Maddy fumed, ready to go after them and get her bike back but Mal held out an arm to stop her.

"You're coming with me."

Maddy had hoped to avoid that.