Chapter 19 - Rose [UPDATED]

A/N: Hi, everyone! I know it's been a hot second since I published an updated chapter, but I am planning on coming back to this to finish my updates, so be on the lookout for more new chapters coming soon! I do have a quick request for you all, specifically for anyone reading this who writes fanfic. I am doing a research project on fanfic writing as a composition tool for a class I'm taking this semester, and if anyone is willing, I would really appreciate you taking the survey I've linked on my profile. It is less than 20 questions and mostly multiple choice, so it shouldn't take you too long, but it would be really valuable for my project! If there's anyone reading this who's been around since I was publishing the original version of this story, I just want to say thank you for sticking with me - I've been on Wattpad for more than seven years now, and it's been such a valuable experience for me as a developing writer. For those of you who are new, thanks so much for taking the time to read my silly little Scorose story. It means the world <3

Chapter 19 - Rose

"You gave me all your love and all I gave you was goodbye"

Everyone who wasn't a seventh year was scheduled to leave school on Sunday morning. On Saturday, I caught Lily in the halls and asked her about her and Lysa's plans for the night – I was sure they would have some, because they always did something fun on their last night at school. Well, we always did something fun on the last night at school. She told me they were just going to hang out by the lake, probably eat snacks and talk until 3 AM, and I suggested, in as humble and apologetic a tone as I could manage, that I might join them. To my relief, she'd agreed - which was how I found myself slipping out of the common room half an hour before curfew.

The halls were decently populated, both with people heading back to their dormitories and with people whose nights, like mine, were only just beginning. Rounding the staircase to the second floor, I was surprised to find myself face to face with someone I hadn't had many encounters with in recent days - Albus.

His eyebrows raised when he saw me, but that was an improvement on the glower I'd been receiving from him ever since we'd fought about my mistreatment of Scorpius. "Rose," he said, his tone lighter than expected. "Hey."

"Hi..." I said, a bit thrown off by his seeming nonchalance.

His brow furrowed, and a more serious expression settled onto his face. "Listen, I um... I was going to let it wait a day or two, but do you have a minute to talk?"

I was still slightly confused, but I nodded. "Yeah... I'm headed down to the lake, if you want to walk with me."

"Sure, yeah."

I smiled. "Well then, let's be off." I continued down the stairs, and he turned around to fall into step beside me. He was silent for a few moments, and when I glanced over, I saw him biting his lip. "What's up, Al?"

My cousin glanced up and down the staircase, which appeared to be deserted, and only then did he look at me properly. "Scorpius told me about..." - he nodded pointedly at my midsection - "You know."

"Ah." I managed half a smile. "Yes, it's quite the predicament, isn't it?"

Albus scoffed in agreement. "Certainly is. Does... anyone else know?"

I shrugged. "Just Auntie Hannah, at the moment. I'm going to tell your sister and Lysa tonight. And I agreed that Scorpius could tell his father."

"He mentioned that. It's good of you to let him."

"Well, it clearly meant a lot to him... and I figure it can't hurt to have one parent between the two of us who isn't going to go batshit crazy about all this."