Part 11

Lorelai paced back and forth in her house. She was thinking about how to handle the situation and the loss of Luke's presence. She pressed the button for voicemails to see if any new messages were left.

The was only one message and it was from Luke.

"Hey Lorelai. It's me... Luke... but I'm sure you know that already because of caller ID and all... um," Lorelai could hear the nervousness in his voice, but smiled at how his awkwardness in leaving a message was amusing. "I'm in New Mexico with Anna and April, but I'm sure I told you that already... Uhm... Anna and I have decided together to stop sending April on a plane to Stars Hollow to save some money for college. She's starting her sophomore year in the fall, and she just turned 20, but you know that because of the card... you sent... uh, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I won't be coming back. And I guess that's it... uhm... bye." Lorelai frowned.

She sat on her couch and thought about how many people have been walking out of her life.

Flashback

It was near midnight when Lorelai got a call. She groggily searched for her phone on the nightstand and answered it without looking at who was calling.

"Whoever this is with suffer and die in the burning fires of -" she was cut of by one word.

"Mommy?"

It was a small voice but she recognized it as her daughter's.

"Rory? Rory is everything okay?"

"I... I don't know what to do. Please tell me what to do."

"Rory you've got to give me something sweets. What's wrong?"

"I'm pregnant."

Lorelai's mouth went dry. She was silent for moments at a time.

"Mom? Can you say something? Anything?"

"How?" she ground out through her panicking mind.

"Um... the usual way...? Mom? Are you okay?"

"I... I don't know what to say here, Rory." Lorelai said trying to wrap around what her daughter said. She rubbed her forehead before throwing back the covers and leaving the warm bed to get coffee in her system.

It was silent as she bounded down the stairs still processing.

"Can I ask who?" Lorelai breathed as she reached the kitchen.

Rory stays silent.

Lorelai makes her coffee and as the aroma fills the air and she takes a deep breath, Rory whispers so quietly she barley misses the name that she has wanted to forget.

"Logan."

Lorelai breathed out heavily.

"How far along are you?"

Rory was silent again before answering, "Almost two months."

"Okay... okay... we can do this. You will quit the trail, come home, and we can raise the baby. It'll be fine. I'll put a crib in your room and we'll figure out." Lorelai said and got a mug to gulp down her coffee.

Rory was silent for a longer period of time.

"What about Logan? I need to tell me don't I? It's his kid." Rory said thinking.

"We don't need to tell him. He has his own life in California, it's not like he'll drop everything: his new career, his new life, his new home, and so on just for a kid." Lorelai spat.

Rory was silent once again. This time it was way too long and Lorelai asked if she was there and if she was okay.

"Yeah... yeah, I'm here. I'm fine. Um... I'll talk to Hugo next time I see him." Rory said in a small voice.

"Email is faster." Lorelai pointed out.

"Yeah, but this is something you should do in person." Rory replied simply.

Lorelai hummed.

"...yeah I'll be there in a minute..." Rory spoke away from the phone to someone else, "Look, mom I have to go. I'll let you know when Hugo knows."

"Okay, bye hun." Lorelai says.

"By-" and the call ends.

Lorelai sighs and looks at Rory's closed bedroom door.

'What am I going to do?' She thinks and heads back to bed.

****

It was Monday and for Rory she was a wreck. They were supposed to leave for her honeymoon yesterday afternoon, but in the middle of the night she remembered her big meeting. She was having a panic attack, but Logan woke up and comforted her and sleepily told her everything was fine. He "accidentally" lied about the date so she'd be all packed beforehand for their leave Monday evening. They had a brunch Sunday afternoon with the family and Logan had a meeting later that evening.

Rory walked into the Globe ready for her big meeting. She was told they were going to be in the main conference room.

She entered the room to see her boss setting up the room.

"Hey Cathy!"

Cathy turned to see her.

"Ah Rory good you're here just in time. They'll be here any minute."

"They?"

"Yes, they and I believe you know them." She smirked.

"What?"

Rory was completely confused until a booming voice from the hallway echoed in her ears.

"Rory! Good to see you again."

Rory was surprised, but schooled her face to a bright smile.

"Mitchum! Good to see you as well. Let me guess the shadow behind you wouldn't happen to be my hubby would it because if so I've been dying to talk to him since he left so early this morning for work." Her was sweet and Logan knew that as the 'I'm going to kill you because you didn't tell me you were here' voice.

Mitchum laughed.

"Hey Ace."

"What are you guys doing here? I mean I presume you're here for the meeting but what I mean is what are you here to discuss." Rory said seriously.

"Ah well then we must begin then." Logan said.

The four take their seats and a couple minutes later other editors filter in the room.

****

It's been weeks since Rory has called and Lorelai has been getting anxious.

She then decided to take it in her own actions. She grabbed her phone and dialed Rory.

It rang and rang and rang and rang before a robotic voice spoke.

"This number is not available."

Lorelai frowned and then called again and recieved the same message. She tossed her phone on the couch and went to Luke's for some coffee...

****

There's all that for now. Giving a little in sight on Lorelai.