Part 15

Rory sat by the fireplace in the Gilmore Mansion reading her book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. She was so immersed in the story that she didn't acknowledge the boy that had come to join her in the secluded area away from all the adults.

"Hey Buttercup."

"Don't call me that. Despite your first impression of me, I would like you to refrain from associating any nicknames to the unwitty damsel in distress of the Princess Bride." Rory murmured absently.

"Oh good, you can multitask. And I see you've expanded your vocabulary since the last time I saw you Princess." The blond boy sighed happily. He was glad to have someone to talk to during these depressing times-- aka being shipped off to England alone for the first time. He enjoyed his time with the young spitfire that he's run into at these tedious holiday functions.

"Don't call me Princess." Rory hissed, looking over the top of her book briefly.

"You know, I never knew you could be brought away from your book so quickly. Guess, I'm special." Logan grinned.

Rory rolled her eyes then frowned as she muttered, "I'm at the part where Scout gets to read with her dad and I just started to think about my dad and how I never do things like that with him, much less see him."

Logan could sympathize with her on that, there were things he wished he could do with his own father.

"I'm going to snag us some food, any requests?"

"Apple tarts!" Rory squealed.

Logan laughed and nodded and walked off. When he came back he balanced three plates of apple tarts and two glasses of sparkling apple cider. Rory was back in her reading zone, blocking out the world.

"Rory? Princess?" Logan called to her and all he got was silence. He was getting impatient. He finally had someone's attention and now he was being ignored again and he didn't like it, so he did the only thing to get her attention back on him.

He took her book.

"Wha-- Logan! Give it back!" Rory yelled and tried to reach but Logan was standing at a distance and she couldn't reach it.

"No, pay attention to me."

"Give me back my book!" Rory jumped to reach it and Logan pulled back almost stumbling to the fire.

Rory screeched in fear, "Logan! You're going to drop it!"

"I'll give it back if you pay attention to me for the rest of the evening."

Rory's cheeks were becoming red, her eyes glaring daggers. Logan smirked.

"No."

"No?" Logan asked incredulously. His childish features scruching up slightly, a half frown, half pout painted his lips.

"No. Now give it back Logan!" Rory demanded, stomping her foot down in a cute stand of protest. Her body vibrated in anger and irritation.

"No." Logan smirked, yeah he'll play that game.

"No?" Rory asked, her voice twisted with confusion and surprise.

"No."

Rory huffed, her bottom lip sticking out in the cutest pout. She was defiant, and he liked it.

The two were so involved in their bickering that they never noticed Logan's sister, Honor, testing out her new camera phone and caught the perfect shot.