Chapter 4: I See You

I let out a yawn and grab my jacket, getting ready to clock out for the day.

Valentine's Day left the shop quieter than usual as more women flocked to the local chocolate shop to get a treat for their honey than to Seven for themselves to get the latest trend. Though a few folks did trickle in off the streets and browsed. Still, in the end, it's been the same old same. Quiet and uneventful, which did nothing to ease my mind.

To ease my mind from thinking about three years ago.

I squeeze my eyes shut and shake my head, shoving those thoughts away. I've dwelled enough for the day. It's time I pick myself up and get it together. I can't keep torturing myself with all the possibilities. At some point, I need to make peace with what was. I have to. It's the only way I can live.

"Ah, Y/N," Mr. Sui says, abruptly pulling me back from myself.

I lift my gaze to his, meeting his warm stare. A kind and apologetic smile is on his lips, his hands collapsed together. He is already in his winter coat with a hat on his head, most likely ready to leave for the day. Then again, he could leave whenever he wants. He's the owner, after all.

"Mr. Sui," I try to smile, clearing my throat. "Did you need something, sir?"

He nods, "Yes. I apologize, but could I ask you to stay late? I normally wouldn't worry, but some ladies told me they saw a few out of towners who looked suspicious earlier." He shrugs, waving his hands. "I'm sure they won't do anything. In fact, they're probably already gone but I just want to take extra precautions."

"That's understandable," I answer.

To be honest, this is the first time he's ever asked me to stay after hours. I mean, it was never like he ever had much to worry about. Aside from Nora being an overall safe place, I just live upstairs. In the end, I'm always here, but I suppose he doesn't know if I have plans or not for Valentine's Day. Honestly, I don't. I was just going to go up to my apartment and make some ramen while watching T.V., though I guess making extra cash is a better idea than that.

I shrug, "Don't worry, Mr. Sui. I'll stay.

"Thank you, Y/N," he sighs, the relief visible in his tone. "Make sure to set the alarm after Ree leaves and if you wouldn't mind, pull the gates down."

"Yes, sir," I nod confidently.

He just flashes me that friendly smile and turns, calling, "Thank you again, Y/N."

"No problem," I huff.

I glimpse down at the monitors I was about to abandon and let out another rough breath. It looks like I can't leave my post just yet. Seems like I have a few more hours remaining to look at screens and stare at nothing.

***

I throw back another chip, my eyes still plastered on the screens. The shop closed about three hours ago, but here I am...still staring at screens. Of course, nothing has happened. The alarm hasn't gone off and I haven't heard the gates and the cameras aren't picking up any activity. Mr. Sui had been certain nothing would come of the strangers, but I didn't expect to be this bored. I guess staring at monitors catches up to you after so long.

I reach my arms over my head and stretch, cracking away the stiffness from my spine. With the boredom circling me, I decide it best to take a walk around the shop. It'll help to get my blood flowing in my legs and give me a better view of everything.

So, I make my way out of my little office and almost freeze. The boutique is so eerie and creepy at night. All the lights are off with the exception of two floodlights that remain on during the night, casting shadows along all the merchandise. Mannequins and racks suddenly appear more diabolical than they do during the day, but I push it all aside and go on my way.

The soles of my shoes scuff the floor with each step I take as my eyes search my surroundings. There is nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is exactly where it belongs and needs to be. It's all perfectly fine. So, I glimpse beyond the barricaded windows and door. I see no one lingering outside. The sidewalks are empty and desolate. There is no one appearing to be up to no good. All is fine and dandy.

"Okay. So, what do I do? Can I call it a night or -" I begin when I catch sight of something.

I didn't catch it a first, but I can faintly make out the outline of a figure across the street. They appear tall and still, the pale moonlight bathing them. I can't see any features, but I know -I just know that they're looking at me. Their eyes are trained on me, burning holes into my skin. I can feel the intensity of their stare as it observes, hitching my breath.

And though I can't see them, I feel a strong sense of familiarity. The person staring at me...I know that I know them. I know that I recognize them. After all, how could I forget them? They left one hell of an impression on me. Even after all these months, I still catch myself thinking about him, wondering where he is and what he's doing. Though I don't know him well enough to care, I still end up in the mindset of curiosity.

Probably because we are two different people from two different worlds. I am just a simple woman from the here and now. Reality swaddles me and is where I call home. However, he is an entity all of his own. Reality has no bound on him, leaving him to do as he pleases. While I am a prisoner of this realm, he is free. So, no, I can't bring myself to forget him.

The god Yato.

**Ello lovelies! Looks like Y/N has already found Yato. At least, she seems pretty sure that it's him. Who knows? For all we know, they could be an antagonist. Or are they? Guess we'll have to find out! Well, thank you so, so, SOOO much for everything! I really and truly appreciate everything! All your support means the world to me! Stay smiley! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross