Chapter 15: Morals

"Fuuuucccckkkkk," I groan in frustration. "Why the hell did I tell her that?!" I fling myself down on my sofa. "Ugh. I don't wanna but I'm gonna have to come clean with her."

"Come clean to who about what?" a voice suddenly asks, causing me to nearly jump off the couch.

I jolt up and lift my stare, meeting an all too familiar set of sharp azure orbs. Standing in the doorway between my kitchen and living room with an open bag of chips in hand is Yato. When or how he got here is beyond me. Well, I guess how doesn't matter. He can just magically appear wherever, after all. But the when...that can still be asked.

"What the hell?" I snap, furrowing my brows. "How long have you been here?"

"I just got here," he answers with a mouthful of chips. "When was the last time you ate these? They taste kinda stale."

"You're eating my food? What the...ya know, never mind," I huff, throwing myself back onto my couch. My body slightly bounces from the force. "Ugh. She's gonna be so upset when I tell her."

"Tell who what?" he questions.

I listen as he makes his way into the living room. The sound of his weight pressing into my chair's cushion fills my ears. Even without seeing him, I can tell he's getting comfortable. It's so easy to tell by all the sounds.

I shake my head and swallow, "My friend. She is utterly hellbent on a double date."

"Then go on a double date," he encourages, still chowing down on the stale chips. "These aren't too bad."

Ignoring his statement about the chips, I sigh, "But it's so stupid and lame. Besides...I kinda lied to her."

"You lied? About what?" he chuckles.

I bring my attention to him. As expected, he is slouching in my recliner with his legs hanging off one of the arms, still eating the stale chips. Happily, might I add. He seems to be in good spirits. Why that is, is beyond me. Maybe he got some really good jobs today. Maybe he made extra money. In the end, I don't know why, but I do know that he does look happy.

"I did," I breathe. "She was bugging me about trying to hook me up with someone for that stupid double date. I shouldn't have -I know I shouldn't have. It was so immature and pointless and just wrong."

"Good grief," he snorts. "What'd you do? Tell her you didn't want to be friends anymore?"

"Hardy-har har-har," I scoff. "No. I lied and told her I'm already seeing someone."

"That's it? That's all?" he presses, bringing his brilliant orbs to me.

I knit my brows. "What do you mean 'that's it'? I lied to her. That's a pretty big deal."

"Why's that? It was just a fib wasn't it?" he asks nonchalantly.

Honestly, it seems Yato doesn't quite grasp how this whole friendship thing works. Though, can I really be that surprised? Do gods even know how things work in the human realm? After all, I'm sure they live by their own rules and customs...right? Aren't gods on a totally different level from humans?

I blink. When did this become something I think about? When did it become a thing at all? Before meeting Yato, I never uttered a prayer and I certainly never paid any mind to gods or whatnot. There was only one thing that made perfect sense. One rational thing fueled by facts and calculations. One thing that always proved correct no matter what and that is science. Science is the only thing I was ever taught to believe in. Science and medicine but now, that foundation that was where my beliefs were planted is now shaking. Gods, regalia, and phantoms are shattering my reality.