Chapter 13: Family

The rain taps at the windows in a rhythmical pattern, the droplets gliding down the smooth glass as if they're dancing to the beat. The artificial gleams of the lights illuminate each drop, making them appear like tiny jewels decorating my windows. A roll of thunder growls, vibrating and rattling the glass as it bounces off my ribs. I just pull my knees to my chest and gaze at the scene before me.

To be honest, it is very beautiful. Despite the grumbling of the thunder and the occasional flash of lightning, it is a calming view. Well, kind of. Though the gentle patting of the rain is nice to listen to, it offers little to ease my mind.

It's strange. Feeling this way, that is. Thinking about them and feeling this ache pull at my heart. None of it seems real. I never thought I'd actually...miss them. My family. Have I ever missed them? To be honest, I don't know. I don't think I ever really felt that way. Not that I ever had an opportunity to really miss them. Aside from school, I was always with them. Always.

So, why am I feeling this way now?

I'm free. Free. I don't have to answer to them. I'm free to go where I want when I want and do as I please. I don't need permission from anyone and that's something I enjoy. Yet, here I am missing them. My controlling and strict parents and overlooking and absent siblings. I mean, who misses people like that? Apparently, me.

I let out a harsh sigh and drop my forehead to my knees, squeezing my eyes shut. As stupid as it sounds, I wonder what they're up to. Is YM/N still doing that research on synthetic hearts? Is YF/N going to accept that position on the board and abandon his own research? What about YB/N and YS/N? YB/N would be in residency by now, right? And YS/N would be finishing up medical school...right? Right? That sounds correct.

It hasn't even been a year since I left Osaka and already, I'm trying to remember where everyone left off. It's sad, really. All this time and I haven't missed them once and now I'm letting my emotions get the better of me. However, that's not the most depressing part of it. All this time and not once has any of them reached out to me. No texts...no calls...no emails...no letters...nothing. Just silence.

Then again, I haven't reached out to them either, but I never thought I would actually miss them. After all, it's not like they're the most loving. In the L/N family, I grew up learning how to be independent and resilient. Much like my siblings, I was groomed to be the next best in the medical field. The three of us were trained by our parents to carry on the family name in the world of science and medicine. YB/N and YS/N have lived up to our parents' expectations with my brother announcing he'd be in a surgical residential program at the Osaka Hightown Hospital while YS/N went off to medical school to prepare for her own internship at the same hospital. At least, that's what the plan was before I left.

I was supposed to follow in their footsteps. After high school, I was to attend a prestigious university for my bachelors before heading off to medical school, but unlike my siblings, I felt no connection to my parents' plan. All I wanted was to get out and live a life that's mine and mine alone. That's why I got away. Well, part of it.

In the end, I have my reasons for leaving the only family I've ever known. Reasons I choose to not to think about. Reasons that almost make me want to curl up into a ball and cry. But I can't do that. Not right now.

Right now, my eyes are trained on the trails of rain drifting down my window. They really soothe me, as odd as they sound. Maybe it's because maybe -just maybe- this means they're thinking about me.

Maybe.

Just maybe.

**Ello, ello lovelies! A little glimpse into Y/N's family. So, she's adopted and has two siblings. On top of that, it appears her family has some sort of influence in the medical world. Interesting, huh? Don't worry, there's more! Just stayed tuned! As always, thank you so super duper much for everything! Y'all are the absolute best! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross