Chapter 21: Triggered

"Fir-first love?" Yukine stammers, his eyes growing wide. "You saw your first love at the festival?"

I nod, "Yup."

"Wait. Are you sure? I mean, there were a lot of people there, weren't there?" he asks, a hint of panic pulling at his tone. "Right?"

I can tell he's genuinely surprised by this development, but I'm not sure why. I mean, what did he expect from me? That I'd be this shaken up over a guy I was just friends with? Then again, he's so young. He most likely never had to deal with anything like this. As sad as it is, I'm certain he's never had to deal with the trauma of a first love. At least, I hope he didn't have to. I hope he never had to worry or deal with this kind of pain.

That's what I hope.

"Well, that explains why your mood changed," Yato interjects, those brilliant eyes locked on me. "Did you two end on bad terms or somethin'?"

I tighten my clench on my mug and bite down on my bottom lip. "Something like that."

"What happened?" Yukine bursts.

I glimpse up just as he covers his mouth with his hands and Yato flicks his forehead. Yukine quickly rubs where Yato had flicked him and shoots his master a sharp glance before turning to me. His eyes soften as he clears his throat.

"Y/N, I am so sorry," he apologizes. "You don't have to answer that."

"Thanks," I swallow. "Honestly...I don't think I can talk about it. It's too personal." I flash Yukine an apologetic smile. "Sorry."

He waves his hands and panics, "N-no. It's fine. I had no place to ask. I-I'm sorry."

I just smile, "It's okay. Don't worry about it."

I glance back down at the cup in my clutch, avoiding their stares. I don't know why I'm avoiding them. Maybe because I don't want to risk letting them see what's going through my head. I don't want them to see all the memories running rampant through my clouded head. All the days Kaito spent holding my hand...all the kisses he peppered over my face...all the notes he'd pass me in the halls...all the texts we'd exchange throughout the day...all the times we'd whisper over the phone at night because our parents were asleep...all the plans we made. Above all else, I can't help but think about what my parents did after they found out about us. Above it all, that is the pain associated with the thoughts of Kaito.

Of course, it's not his fault. He did nothing wrong. It was just my parents being their overcontrolling selves that ruined everything. I don't blame him. I could never blame him. If they hadn't stepped in...he would've never let this happen. He would've never broken me as they did.

I guess that's why I'm upset that seeing him triggered me like this. If anything, seeing him should have excited me. I should have been over the moon at seeing him. However, I wasn't. Maybe it was the shock upon seeing him. Maybe seeing his face transported me back to that day. Regardless, as much as I miss him, I'm not ready to see him. Not again.

"Are you okay now?" Yato asks, pulling my attention to him.

I meet his stare. Though I'm still not completely certain how to read the god named Yato, I'm almost certain I can see a snippet of concern floating at the surface of his stare. True, genuine concern.

I nod, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" Yukine presses.

"I'm sure," I chuckle. "I'll be fine. Thank you both...thank you for being there for me. I appreciate all this."

"No problem," Yukine beams.

I smile at him and direct my attention to Yato. His eyes are trained on me, his features soft as he remains unfazed by the meeting of our stares. If anything, he seems focused and concentrated, which pulls me into a trance. Right now, this doesn't feel awkward between us. I don't know if that's because Yukine is here as well or what, but I feel...fine. I feel comfortable gazing into those blazing orbs.

It's almost strange. Based on how things have been between us, I never expected to feel this comfortable with him. Not like this, anyway. It's as if there's been a shift and, to be honest, one I don't mind.

Just then, he swallows, "If you ever need anything, just call. Just call and I'll be there."

That response surprises me and slightly takes me off guard. After how I had to keep making wishes just to keep him around me this was the last thing I expected to hear. But...it's nice.

"Thanks," I smile. "I'll remember that."

One thing about what he said stands above all else. How he'll be there. Not just them. Him.

**Ello lovelies! So, what'd y'all think about that? Thinking Yato is warming up to Y/N? Or is there a different reason he's extending a hand? Guess you'll just have to wait to see! As always, thank you so freakin' much for everything! I honestly appreciate it all! Stay groovy! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. "Memories" by ONE OK ROCK