Chapter 25: Hidden Gems

~Yato's POV~

She looks content. At least, I guess she is. I've seen her facial expression change a few times, but it must be because of what he's saying. The shopkeeper, I think. I've seen him around. He seems like a nice guy. Everyone knows him and has nothing but nice things to say about the guy. I guess if there's anyone who can help her with what she's going through then it's him. As long as she has someone she can trust. That's what matters.

I shake my head. What is this? When did I let this girl get to me? Seriously? It makes no freaking sense. She's just some girl who made a wish. That's what I keep telling myself, but even I can see that's not true. There's more to this girl than I want to admit. Maybe because I don't want to get burned...again.

"Wow. She looks like she's doing better today," Yukine says happily. "Doesn't she?"

She does. But that doesn't matter. Not right now. I have things to do and people to see. Important things to do and important people to see. And I can't be focusing on some girl right now.

I shove my hands into my pockets and turn, muttering, "Yeah, sure. Whatever. She looks happy. Come on, we gotta go."

He turns and follows me, continuing, "Where are we going anyway? Do we have a job?"

"Well, somethin' like that," I mumble.

***

"Tenjin! Yo, we're here!" I call, making my way onto the grounds of Tenjin's shrine, Yukine following at my side. "Hey, ya old geezer! We're here!"

"What are we doing at Tenjin's place?" Yukine asks, glimpsing at me.

Ignoring him, I repeat, "Tenjin! Hello! We're –"

"Oh, my gods. Do you ever shut up?" the familiar voice of Mayu spits.

I glance up, meeting her sharp stare as she glares at me. She appears annoyed and irritated to see me. Nothing new there, really. Even when she was my regalia, she wasn't my biggest fan. But now she's this old coot's regalia and it's just so –

"Are you here about that job?" she asks, lifting a brow.

I blink, pulling myself back to reality and clear my throat. "Uh, yeah. Is it ready?"

"What job?" Yukine questions.

"For the most part. Follow me. I'll take you to him," she instructs.

She begins to make her way further into Tenjin's property, Yukine and I following close behind her. I just remain relaxed, not trying to show anything that I'm thinking, but my mind is loud. There is so much swirling through my thoughts that I can't tell.

We continue to walk when Yukine leans over and whispers, "Hey, Yato. What are we doing here? Is Tenjin giving us a new job or somethin'?"

I just shrug, not wanting to tell him yet. To be honest, I feel bad keeping the kid in the dark, but this could either get complicated or go smoothly. I'm hoping for the latter, obviously, but this feeling knotting my gut tells me that I won't be getting what I want. I shouldn't be surprised.

"Master Tenjin, Yato and Yukine are here," Mayu announces.

"Already? Hmm. Send them in," he directs, his disembodied voice floating from beyond the door we've stopped before.

Mayu moves aside, allowing us entrance and we take it. We make our way into what must be one of Tenjin's private rooms to see him sitting at a chabudai, papers and scrolls scattered across its surface. He glances up from what he's doing and flashes us a friendly smile.

"Yato, Yukine, welcome," he says, motioning to the space across from him. "Please, sit." We do as he instructs as he continues, "I've done that job you asked of me."

"Wait, you gave him a job?" Yukine asks, shooting me a glance.

I simply shrug, "I did a favor for him, so he did a favor for me. Relax, Yukine. Let the grown-ups talk." He crosses his arms over his chest and begins to pout. I press, "So, did you find anything?"

"Honestly, I don't know why you're so fixated on this human," Tenjin sighs, lifting some of the papers. "It'd be best if you stopped involving yourself in human affairs. You saw what happened in the –"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it already," I interrupt, narrowing my eyes. "I'm not here for a lecture. Did you find anything or not?"

Tenjin narrows his eyes at me as an expression of disapproval masks his features. He may not like the way I keep involving myself in human matters, but something about Y/N keeps me circling. She shouldn't be able to see phantoms. Normal, untainted spirits, sure. But phantoms? No. That's not normal.

He stares a bit longer and huffs, "You realize I'm the God of Academics, right? Not the God of Research."

I wave my hand dismissively. "Yeah, sure. What'd you find?"

"L/N Y/N, female, nineteen years old, born BM (your birth month)/BD (your date of birth)/XXXX in H/P (where you're from)," he sighs, reading the papers in his grasp. "Adopted upon her birth by YM/N L/N and YF/N L/N. Youngest of three children with an older brother, YB/N and older sister, YS/N, both biologically belonging to YM/N and YF/N. Adoptive parents are both surgeons who relocated the family to Osaka, Japan when Y/N was thirteen. Excellent student with excellent grades and graduated the top of her class. What are you looking for exactly, Yato?"

He scans me, appearing displeased to be doing this, but I need to get the bottom of this. There just is something that isn't right here. And that's something I need to figure out.

I cuff my chin and let out a sigh, "Her biological parents. Were you able to find anything on them?"

"Meredith Vickers was the only name you provided me with," he says, lifting a brow.

"I know, I know, but -" I begin.

He holds up a hand and breathes, "Relax, Yato. Even with the limited information you provided me, I was still able to find something." He drops his hand and shuffles his papers. "According to my research, Meredith Vickers is now married to a David Bose and works as a freelance photographer. She had one child with him; a daughter named Courtney. She is twelve years old and –"

"What about her father?" I interrupt.

This isn't the kind of information I'm looking for. I don't care what her mother has accomplished since having her. I need to know if there's anything about her or Y/N's father. I need to know if there's anything strange.

Tenjin blinks before clearing his throat. "Well, I wasn't given a name for him, but with some heavy digging, I think I found him, and it doesn't look promising."

"What do you mean by that?" I press.

His eyes bore into mine, his tone going dry. "Trenton Greene. His name is Trenton Greene." He places the papers down and rests his chin on his hand. "Tell me. What are you trying to figure out, Yato?"

**Ello, ello lovelies! Decided to do a Yato POV today. Figured it'd be fun to do since we haven't had one for this book. I thought it'd be a good idea. That said, are you intrigued to see what lies ahead? Feel free to guess! Thank you so, so, SOOO much for everything! Y'all are awesome sauce! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. "Bullet to the Heart" by GOT7's Jackson Wang.