Chapter 19: Ocean's Lullaby

It's been three years. Three long years since I last saw him. Three agonizingly long years since...it's been so long. After all this time, I never thought I'd see him again. I never thought I'd see his face again or hear his voice but sure enough, there he was that night. There he was, surrounded by the crowd as his gaze remained trained on the distant lanterns. That is until he brought his gaze to me.

I squeeze my eyes shut and let out a rough sigh. The cool breeze rolls in off the ocean as the morning sun wraps me in a warm embrace. Usually, the roaring of the waves and the touch of the wind would be enough to clear my mind, but not today. Not this time. My thoughts are too jumbled and scrambled up for that.

Memories dash through my mind, my heart recalling everything from every smile to every kiss to every touch. Memories I've tried so hard to suppress for my sanity's sake. But seeing him...it did something to me. It caused a part of me to crack, allowing for an entire tidal wave of emotions to burst through the seams. How I maintained composure while I got Yato and me out of there before he approached us is beyond me. Hell, I barely had time to say goodbye to Hiyori and Hiroki. But I did it. And now here I am, standing before the ocean the morning after.

Here I am just drowning in my emotions and memories. Here I am just trying to keep myself pulled together. Here I am just trying to not fall back into myself as I did all those years ago. Trying being the keyword.

"Y/N," a voice calls from behind me, causing me to turn.

Walking toward me with a happy Virginia eagerly at his side is Mr. Sui. He seems to be happy, the smile on his lips warming my heart. Over the last couple of months I've lived and worked in Nora, I've grown to enjoy Mr. Sui's presence. There's a calming aura about him that typically disarms me, but today...today there's no soothing me. Not with all that's swirling in my head. Still, I fake a smile and hope he can't see through my defenses. Hoping and praying being all I can do.

"Mr. Sui," I say, shoving my hands into my pockets. "Enjoying a nice morning walk?"

"Very much so," he nods. "How was the festival? Did you girls enjoy yourselves? I know Hiyori was talking about it all week."

I can feel my heart drop into my stomach. I forgot that Hiyori had told him about our plans to go to the festival. Honestly, I wasn't really wanting to talk about it. Sure, it had been fun and something new, but after seeing him...all I wanted was to leave. So, how could I talk about that? How could I tell this kind old man about how I wanted bail last night? I guess...I guess I just avoid it.

I shrug, "It was nice. There were a lot of fun games and good food."

He observes me. "That's good. Did your dates enjoy themselves? I understand you got to meet Hiroki. By my understanding, Hiyori's been wanting you to meet him."

"Yeah. He's very nice and they're a very cute couple," I answer, still faking my best smile.

"That's what I've been told," he chuckles. "How about your date? Did he have a good time?"

I almost forgot about Yato. I mean, I didn't forget about him necessarily, but more that he was my date last night. To be truthful, I have no problem discussing Hiyori and Hiroki, but I wasn't planning on discussing my fake date with Yato. Not with Mr. Sui.

"I must say, I wasn't aware you were seeing anyone, but it's good to see that you're meeting people," Mr. Sui continues.

I shrug, "Yeah. It's...it's...ugh. I'm sorry. I can't lie. It wasn't a real date. He's just a friend that was doing a favor for me." I bring my eyes to his dark orbs. "I just didn't want Hiyori to try to hook me up with a stranger and she's been so determined for a double date. I know it looks bad, but –"