Chapter 6: One Cup of Tea

"I'm sorry?" I laugh half-heartedly. "You wanna know about...about how I'm able to see the phantoms? Those creepy things? Really?"

Yato cuffs his chin with his hand and hums, "Hmm. Well, I guess that would be kinda hard for you to answer." He stands in silence before snapping his fingers. "I got it! Just tell me your history with the phantoms."

My mouth feels like it's about to hit the ground. It's been months since I've seen this idiot, and the reason he shows up now is because he's curious about my past with the phantoms? Really? That's why he's here? That's what has piqued his interest? Then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Phantoms are the only things he and I seem to have in common. As odd and crazy as that sounds.

Slightly disappointed, I shrug, "What's there to tell? I've always been able to see 'em."

A faint mask of what must be surprise meets his stare as he repeats, "Always?"

"Yeah, always," I reply. "Ever since I could remember. Why?"

He scans me with those intense eyes, his hand still cuffing his chin as he appears to be thinking. Honestly, I wish I knew what's going through that thick skull of his. Surely it has to be something interesting based on the expression on his face.

He leans in close, pressing, "Always? Hmm? Are you sure you weren't in some kind of accident like, oh, I don't know...hit by a bus?"

My eyes widen in shock as I gasp, "Hit by a...that is eerily specific, don't ya think?"

"Eh," he dismisses. "It was all I could come up with. But have you?"

"Ever been hit by a bus?" I question. "No. And while we're at it, I've never been hit by a car, bike, or train either. Any other stupid questions?"

"Hey. No need to be snarky! Show some respect! I'm a -" he begins.

"A god," I finish. "You're a freakin' god. I get it. We all get it."

That seems to take him off guard as he just blinks at me. To be honest, it's almost comical. He should be used to this kind of comeback. After all, I'm certain Yukine constantly snaps back.

Yukine.

I still find it hard to believe that he's so young and already he's...he's a regalia. Just a kid. Just a kid forever trapped in the world of adolescence; not yet a man, but no longer a child. But I guess he'll never get to be a man and I'm sure he knows that. Both he and Yato are painfully aware of that fact. It is the reality of their world.

"So, you've really always seen them?" Yato continues, his tone now low, pulling me from my thoughts. His eyes are averted to the ground as a soft tint of blush dusts over his cheeks. "And you're certain you've never been in an accident?"

A gentle smile bows my lips as I answer, "I'm sure. I've never even broken a bone or needed stitches (even if you have, pretend you haven't)."

There's a blanket of silence that lingers between us as a rough breeze rolls in off the ocean. The gale combs her icy fingers through our hair as she nips at my nose. Yato appears unfazed by the chill as his posture doesn't shift. In fact, his stare is still trained on the ground, that tint of blush still sprawled across his features. Either he's flustered or he's cold. Regardless, this is a new side to Yato that I haven't really seen before. I find this almost...cute.

"Well, I think I'll leave," he says, once again shoving his hands into his pockets. "Sorry that I -"

I don't know what comes over me, but I don't want to see him leave. I don't want to watch him go and wonder if it'll be the last time I'll ever see him. I don't want him to go and leave me all alone because, god or not, he's the only person who sees what I see. He's the only one who knows the monsters exist. It may be childish, but I find comfort in knowing we both see them.

So, in desperation, I blurt, "Wait, don't go!"

He immediately freezes and brings his eyes to mine, another wave of surprise washing over his face. To be honest, I don't blame him. I've surprised myself with that outburst. I want him to stay, but I didn't mean to cry out in desperation like some child. At least my reaction caused him to stop in his tracks.

Not wanting to appear like a lunatic, I add, "U-umm, I mean...uh...i-it's awfully cold. How about you come back to my place and warm up with a cup of tea before you leave?"

"A...cup of tea?" he asks, lifting a brow.

"Yeah," I swallow. "It's just...you look cold."

His eyes widen as he glances between me, Seven, and the direction he was about to go. After a few moments of this, he nods, "Okay. One cup of tea."

I smile, "One cup of tea."

**Bello lovelies! Kinda a little interesting encounter between the two, eh? Maybe a little cute? Then again, maybe it was just cute in my head lol. Still, it's somethin', right? Y'all ready to see where this all goes? I hope so! Until then, thank you so much for everything! Y'all are the bestest! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross