Chapter 5: Seeing a God

I could've looked away.

I could've turned my head and looked away. Even more so, I could've walked away. I could've directed my attention elsewhere and walked to it. There were so many things I could've done but didn't. In the end, I made my decision, and that decision brought me here to this moment.

The frigid gale blows, its icy embrace swaddling me as the waves sway back and forth against the sandy shore. The moon hangs high in the sky, casting her milky gleam down, though the shadows still snake and sliver across the landscape. Aside from the water splashing against the rocks and the howling breeze, all is silent. There is nothing but a sheet of quietude that lingers between us.

Us.

Him and me.

Me and him.

He stands at the peak of the rocks, his hands shoved into his pockets as he stares down at me. His piercing blue gaze is just as brilliant and fierce as the first time I saw them. Instead of appearing like the glistening ocean current that so many compare blue eyes to, I am reminded of a raging fire that burns, leaving all to watch in awe. And watching in awe I am. Even if I wanted to, I can't bring myself to glimpse away. Not with the trance he has cast over me.

But I have to try.

Mustering up all the confidence I have, I smile slyly, "Well, haven't seen you in a while."

He narrows his eyes at me and tilts his head slightly to the side in response, though no words meet my ears. In fact, his lips remain pressed in a hard line as his face becomes a void of emotion. At least, the faint moonlight makes me believe he appears emotionless. It's hard to tell, really. However, there is one thing that's easy to note. His lack of response.

I cross my arms firmly over my chest and snort, "What? Now you don't talk or somethin'?"

Still staring. Still not replying. Still leaving me confused. Still nothing but the wind and waves filling the silence between us. And now I'm starting to get annoyed.

Furrowing my brows, I press, "Hello? Yo, it's me. Say somethin'."

Silence.

My annoyance is boiling past the mere irritation it was and is evolving into anger. Anger at his unwillingness to participate in this conversation. At this point, I'm only talking to myself. At least, that's how it feels, but I know he hears me. Even with that blank expression of his, I know that he knows I'm talking to him.

"Alright, now you're pissing me off," I snap. "Why are you acting like you can't hear me?"

I almost expect more silence but he just sighs, "Relax. I hear ya. I hear ya." He steps forward and jumps down from the rocks, landing in front of me. "Sheesh, you're persistent. Didn't anyone ever teach ya that if someone doesn't answer the first time that it means they don't wanna talk?"

I plant my hands on my hips and spit, "Didn't anyone ever teach you that it's rude to ignore people when they are talkin' to ya?"

"Didn't you hear a single word I just freakin' said?" he grumbles. "I just said I didn't wanna talk."

Didn't want to talk? He claims that he didn't want to talk to me, but if that's the case, then why's he here? Why, after all this time of not seeing him, is he here? Why now? It makes no sense to me. He must want something. I mean, he was staring at me and I know he was. There was no mistaking it. He can say what he wants, but I know what I saw.

"Didn't wanna talk?" I repeat, lifting a brow.

"That's what I just freakin' said," he huffs dramatically.

"Uh-huh," I continue. "Yeah, okay. So, why are you here then?"

"Humph," he pouts. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

And suddenly I'm reminded of how there are two sides to Yato. One that is serious and almost intimidating and one that's immature and childish. How could I possibly forget about that? That was one of the first things I noticed about him. Despite his fierce and intimidating stare, he's still like a giant kid. That's just how he is.

I snort, "You're ridiculous. What are you? Five?"

"What are you? Five?" he repeats mockingly. "So what if I am? Not your business."

"Oh, grow up," I chuckle. I regain my composure and shift my tone. "But for real, I haven't seen you since you granted my wish. What brings you here?"

His gape meets mine, his posture appearing childish, though his eyes reveal a different emotion from his stance. And honestly, I don't know how to read him. I could sit here and try to figure him out, but in the end, my assumptions could be met with empty hands.

Finally, after a few moments, he sighs, "Actually, I am here for a reason."

"Oh?" I press, surprised he's actually entertaining my curiosity. "And that reason would be?"

He turns directly to me. "I have questions. Questions that I need to ask you."

"M-me?" I stammer, almost wanting to laugh. "What could you possibly want to ask me?"

It's ridiculous. I can remember Yato. I know what he is. A god. He's a god and I'm just me. Just one girl with no specialness about me. What could he possibly have to ask me? It's not like I have anything to offer.

"It's simple," he says, interrupting my thoughts. "Just tell me how you're able to see phantoms."

**Ello, ello lovelies! If you remember in book one it was revealed that Y/N could see the phantoms. Now, Yato seems curious as to why that is. Any ideas as to why she's able to see them? Feel free to leave a guess! Thank you so, so, so much for everything! Y'all are the cat's pajamas! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. "Face" by Woosung from The Rose